Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bruised nipples

Default bruised nipples

I have been pumping for work the past couple weeks. I initially had the pump on a relatively high setting, but my nipplrs seemed sore and almost butning for hours after, so I have hadit on a much lower setting since monday. I have also taken a day break on the days I don't work. I pumped yesterday morninng and it was quite painful, even on a low setting. When I was done my nippples were prple and bruised. I pump for 15 minutes at a time with a medella double pump. What should I do? My little guy needs milk while I am gone but I am in a lot of pain. Luckily BFing isn't (very) painful.

Default Re: bruised nipples

Could you need larger flanges? Lots of mamas have nipples too large for the standard 24mm shield and need to go up a size or two.

ETA: Do you see your nipples rubbing the sides of the shield as they are drawn into it? No part of your nipple should be touching the shield at all.
    Last edited by @llli*jeno; March 21st, 2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    Could you need larger flanges? Lots of mamas have nipples too large for the standard 24mm shield and need to go up a size or two.

ETA: Do you see your nipples rubbing the sides of the shield as they are drawn into it? No part of your nipple should be touching the shield at all.
    Thanks for your help.
    So should there br no part of my nipple/areola touching the inside? How does it get suction then? And how do I know what size to increase to?

Your areola can touch, just not the nipple.

I've seen websites that explain how you can tell. I'll see if I can hunt one down.

ETA:
    http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields
    Last edited by @llli*jeno; March 21st, 2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added website
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

thank you for your help. It looks like i do need a larger sheild. I will have DH pick one up on his way home tonight. It will be a relief not to dread pumping because of the pain.