Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping Worries

Default Pumping Worries

Hi Ladies! I posted this concern in another forum but didn't get a very good response... Hopefully I have better luck here. My daughter is about 4 months old. We struggled breastfeeding for a few months, but she is now almost EBF. I always nurse her as often as she wants and as long as she wants.

I've noticed that when I pump directly following a feeding, I don't have enough milk at the next feeding- she becomes incredibly fussy, latching on, but then letting go and crying. I end up switching sides over and over. Occasionaly she calms down, but sometimes I have to supplement with the expressed milk. She is not like this normally.

Is it possible that my body isn't capable of making enough to pump and feed her??? How long does it take for my body to get the signal to make more milk?? Would it be best to pump after morning feedings since I have more milk then?? Thank you!

Default Re: Pumping Worries

Are you pumping to build a freezer stash or why? I always have a supply issue when I work on building a stash.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yes. More details. Why are you pumping?

If you're gone, you should ideally be pumping while away to provide milk for the *next* time you're gone.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

How long are you pumping for after a feeding? And how long is it until the next feeding?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I am pumping because I have to go back to work in a few weeks and would like to have a nice stash so I'm not barely breaking even.

I pump between 15-20 minutes directly following a feeding and she usually eats about 1.5-2 hours later.

Thank you ladies!!!

I would try pumping in the morning to take advantage of the time when your prolactin levels are high and to avoid the later afternoon evening when many babies feed at more and more frequent intervals.

Also, during those post pump feedings where she seems unsatisfied, I'd just keep switching breasts until she didn't want to nurse anymore. Remember, your body can CHANGE how much you produce in response to how much you ask it to. So, by increasing stimulation on you nipples (by both pumping and having your daughter nursenursenurse if that's what she feels like doing), you can tell your body to make more!

When I was building a stash it took about a week but I trained my body to make about 2-4 oz more than what DD needed each day. But if I waited to pump until too late in the day she would drink my extra in the morning and then get cranky for more when I pumped and thus cut into her later feeding amount that evening.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

what type of pump are you using?
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

It's one of the medela electric double pumps

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    I would try pumping in the morning to take advantage of the time when your prolactin levels are high and to avoid the later afternoon evening when many babies feed at more and more frequent intervals.

Also, during those post pump feedings where she seems unsatisfied, I'd just keep switching breasts until she didn't want to nurse anymore. Remember, your body can CHANGE how much you produce in response to how much you ask it to. So, by increasing stimulation on you nipples (by both pumping and having your daughter nursenursenurse if that's what she feels like doing), you can tell your body to make more!

When I was building a stash it took about a week but I trained my body to make about 2-4 oz more than what DD needed each day. But if I waited to pump until too late in the day she would drink my extra in the morning and then get cranky for more when I pumped and thus cut into her later feeding amount that evening.
    Dead on. It can take some time. If you need to, you could also eat a lot of oatmeal and take fenugreek. blessed thistle, alfalfa or other herbal remedy to help boost supply. Worst case, there are some medications that can help increase supply. But it sounds like your body is very even in its production, and first I would try increasing the amount of stimulation to the breasts to signal more milk please.

I don't know if it's feasible for you, but I get a huge amount of milk in the middle of the night when I pump. That happens because prolactin, the milk hormone, is highest at night. It decreases over the course of the day, which is why many moms say they can't get much if they pump at night and why babies cluster feed at night.

You could also cluster pump.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alilwest View Post
    It's one of the medela electric double pumps
    Which one?

There are also some tricks you can play with the pump to encourage a better letdown, to get more milk, etc, if you mess with the suction and rate (if you can)
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I use the Medela Pump in Style. I played with the settings a few months ago and have found a setting that maximizes my output.

I'm going to call my doctor today about my baby's weight gain. She hasn't been gaining nearly as much as she should have. She always seems satisfied after her feedings, but she's only gained 1 lb in about a month and a half.

Supplementation may just be what I need to start doing. Please see my "Weight Gain Worries" thread in Breastfeeding your Infant before attacking me about supplementing.