Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: i need help!! im not allowed to nurse!

Default Re: i need help!! im not allowed to nurse!

I feel you on the frustration. When I had my nerve blocks they told me to pump and dump for five days. FIVE.

I tried, but my frozen milk was bad -- not so much bad as just soapy tasting. I forget the specific reason why, there's even posts here about it on the pumping board. The short of it is I have to scald my milk before long term storage, and I hadn't and he refused it. And we tried formula. And he refused. I literally sat there with a little plunger and force fed him my milk because he wouldn't eat and it had been nearly a day. After trying that once or twice I broke down and gave him my milk anyway. Not eating was worse (in my eyes) than getting some of the meds given to me.

It wasn't until I had to get them again and I found out what the meds were and looked them up on Hale's site that I realized I could have gotten away with dumping for a day (and I had had a day's worth of milk in the fridge) and then giving him my milk again.

So, the second time I didn't have the sedation and I dumped for a day and then fed him as per normal.

Unfortunately I think they take the option of being overly cautious -- saves them on the lawsuits. I can't completely blame them, but it is very frustrating when you go in letting them know you breastfeed and want things that are compatible and they don't know. Because then you are stuck trying to find the info yourself and pray your sources are good.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

I've nursed with mastitis twice and never was told not to. You can buy lecithin in most health food stores.

So sorry you're dealing with this. I wish I had more info for you. I would strongly encourage you to email Dr Jack Newman. I have contacted him on a weekend before and received a response within the day!

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

This is so frustrating. I had an abscess when DD was 3 months old and I remember feeling so overwhelmed. They kept telling me to pump, but offered no advice on how to do it with this huge incision next to the nipple. And DD wouldn't take the breast and hand expression is so hard! I don't know anything about the meds that you have been prescribed, but I know that there were no nursing restrictions for me after my I & D. I was on antibiotics which messed up DD's pooping for awhile, but she was fine otherwise. The milk that comes out of the infected breast should be safe to drink. Even if they tell you otherwise, what happens at home can stay at home.

In my case, we ended up doing unilateral nursing because DD just refused the abscessed side for so long. The healing process took about 3 weeks with daily trips to the nurse for dressing changes and frequent dressing changes at home because the gauze was forever getting soaked with leaking milk. I felt like it would never end. But we got through it. What annoyed me the most during the whole process was when the nurses would smile at DD and say something to the effect of "so you're the little booger who caused this problem, huh?" Try to keep your spirits up-everything should be back to normal in about a month.

I guess this is a little off topic to your question, but when I had this, I felt like I was the only person who ever had to go through this and I needed some encouragement. Remember, it's not your fault, or your LO's, and you'll come out really grateful for your nursing relationship (and your own private little scar that no one has to know about).
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

ive thought about nursing her anyways, but im still in the hospital and dont want to get in trouble (them call cps on me or something!) it would just be so much easier and better, for both of us. she cant get sick from nursing the infected side, 2 days before surgery (and the last 6 wks ive had mastitis) theyve told me to nurse as much as possible. now that its being medically treated its gonna make her sick?! that makes NO sense to me. im getting...just ugh! tired of ppl asking/telling me i should wean now. and im crazy for wanting to bf longer. i asked if they could switch my antibiotics to a nursing friendly kind, and they said i'd have to wait to ask my dr (not the on call) tomorrow. and i brought up my allergy to pcn and the nurse said "i dont know. the dr wouldnt give you pcn if your allergic to it. are yo having a reaction? (no) then i doubt its pcn then" im starting to think i should sign myself out and go somewhere else, more bf friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jazzy1210 View Post
    ive thought about nursing her anyways, but im still in the hospital and dont want to get in trouble (them call cps on me or something!) it would just be so much easier and better, for both of us. she cant get sick from nursing the infected side, 2 days before surgery (and the last 6 wks ive had mastitis) theyve told me to nurse as much as possible. now that its being medically treated its gonna make her sick?! that makes NO sense to me. im getting...just ugh! tired of ppl asking/telling me i should wean now. and im crazy for wanting to bf longer. i asked if they could switch my antibiotics to a nursing friendly kind, and they said i'd have to wait to ask my dr (not the on call) tomorrow. and i brought up my allergy to pcn and the nurse said "i dont know. the dr wouldnt give you pcn if your allergic to it. are yo having a reaction? (no) then i doubt its pcn then" im starting to think i should sign myself out and go somewhere else, more bf friendly!
    Thats horrible. You can refuse to take the abx if you want to do that and just wait til the doc comes tomorrow. Did you happen to email Dr Newman? I think he can offer some great advice on your specific situation.

Get some rest Mama, you need to heal up.
    Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Thats horrible. You can refuse to take the abx if you want to do that and just wait til the doc comes tomorrow. Did you happen to email Dr Newman? I think he can offer some great advice on your specific situation.

Get some rest Mama, you need to heal up.
    they unhooked me from the iv, now i get an iv dose every 3 hrs, now why cant i nurse before a dose, after the first one is wore off. they wont change anything til i talk to my dr tomorrow. the only internet access i have right now is my phone, and it wont let me email dr newman from his website. maybe i can try to call him in the morning if my dr is stil being a *beeeeeeep* gonna get some sleep while my little jazzmin is sleeping. thank you ladies for all your advice and support. ill update in the morning how things with my dr go

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jazzy1210 View Post
    they unhooked me from the iv, now i get an iv dose every 3 hrs, now why cant i nurse before a dose, after the first one is wore off. they wont change anything til i talk to my dr tomorrow. the only internet access i have right now is my phone, and it wont let me email dr newman from his website. maybe i can try to call him in the morning if my dr is stil being a *beeeeeeep* gonna get some sleep while my little jazzmin is sleeping. thank you ladies for all your advice and support. ill update in the morning how things with my dr go
    Would you like me to email him for you??
    Lyn

Ugh. I seriously think at that point I would sign myself out, against medical advice and try to find another place. I'm not sure what kind of grounds they'd have for calling cps, but I know how much of a pain they can be.

When I had my son, I was feeling miserable after wards due to lack of sleep between him and my back issues. I remember the nurse coming in requesting an ok to do an HIV blood test. I told her no. She spewed some stuff about having to protect my son because he can't speak for himself.

I told her that the likelihood of me being positive was practically zero, and listed the reasons why (how many partners I had had that sort of thing).

She continued on about having to protect my son because he can't speak for himself. I re-iterated. Then she gave me some spiel about talking to my doc. He then tried to pull the same "protect your son" bs.

I eventually relented, but only because they were already going to have to do a blood draw for other normal post partum stuff (I thought the test would require a single stand alone draw for itself and I was sick of being poked as it was -- I had bruises all over).

Sometimes I get really irked with the medical profession. Especially a lot lately and how I've been treated sub par due to insurance I had at the time. I especially love the "Well text y shows nothing that could be causing what you describe." and the conversation ends at that. No "We can try xyz to try to figure this thing out."

When did doctors stop caring? Because honestly it seems to me like so many I've run into just don't give a rats --- about their patients any more. I realize they have to try to not get close to their patients for various reasons, but that doesn't mean they have to treat you like a number...

*hugs*

If you want to nurse and your husband is around maybe you guys can work something out where he keeps an eye on the time / the nurses so you can do it while they don't see. I hate to advocate that kind of thing, though.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

i was released today and im going to bf her next feeding. im taking her to her new ped tomorrow, who is VERY pro bf'ing. he told me he hopes i bf til shes 2. that way i have a dr backing me up, and i dont have to worry about the drs at the hospital. i made them change my scripts to something i can take and bf. the nurse told me "we dont get very many bf'ers, we dont know anything about it" i think its very sad, that our healthcare professionals dont have any bf'ing knowledge. i think it should be a requirement! or a law stating all hospitals need a LC 24-7 for cases such as this. the drs didnt know what i can bf on, but know what to give me to dry my milk up?!? theres something wrong there! who can i write about this? hospital? newspaper? governor? this problem should be solved, especially for young mothers who dont have the knowledge or resources i have access to. im quite outraged if you cant tell!!

So happy for you to be home and able to breastfeed without the worry of uneducated doctors and nurses thinking you're doing some harm to your child.

Heal up, Mama!!
    Lyn