Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i need help!! im not allowed to nurse!

Default i need help!! im not allowed to nurse!

i had surgery last night for an abscess from mastitis. the dr's wont let me nurse my 3 month old daughter. 1st they said wait 12 hrs due to the meds they gave me during surgery. (versed and vancomycin) then the dr (my regular dr, who delivered my daughter and is her pcp) came in and told me to wait 48 hrs because they put me on primaxin lc. the told me they'd give me meds to dry my supply but i refused. he told me to pump regularly then, and when i can bf, not to nurse her on the infected side because she'd get sick?!? ive nurse her on that side all the way up until 1 1/2 hrs before i had surgery. its almost impossible to pump that side from the incision, and no milk comes out. i asked to use ice to reduce swelling might help, they said no. i asked for lecithin to thin it out, he refused because he doesnt know what it is!! im getting very upset and frustrated and there is no LC here. just a bunch of dr's who dont seem to know what they're talking about. is there a way to contact someone from the LLL even if theyre not local? could they help me in anyway?? maybe fax info to the hospital? i dont know what else to do. im getting very upset by this, i really want to nurse, and my poor baby does too. when im around she screams her lungs off and roots like crazy, refusing bottles and binkies (shes drinking yucky formula! i didnt have bm stored up) i have to leave the room and only then can daddy calm her down. please someone help, advice, resources...anything. im mobile so i cant navigate this site very well. sorry this is so long and all over the place!

Default Re: i need help!! im not allowed to nurse!

Oh geez.

From Thomas Hale's website:

The new webforums consist of two sections, one is the standard drug section where we only permit healthcare professionals to ASK questions, but all can review them. As with my former webforum, we have decided to restrict the entry of questions to Healthcare Professionals Only. Lacation consultants, LLL leaders, physicians, pharmacists, nurses, and other professionals in this field may post a question particularly if it is something new or not well covered in my three books. For clinical reasons, we actually prefer that you call the InfantRisk Center so that we can carefully evaluate your individual situation.
    http://www.infantrisk.com/content/webforum
    (806) 352-2519

Until then you could go to that site and check his old forum. As I understand things, he is the "go to" guy for medication and nursing. I'll see what I can find; not sure how mobile friendly the old forums are.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

so sorry you are having difficulty with your doctors

I am unfamiliar with the medications you are taking, hopefully some of the other mommas who are on here can look them up for you.

You can reach LLL through the national helpline:

LLL Breastfeeding Helpline-US at 877-4-LALECHE (877-452-5324).
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Keep in mind I'm not a doctor, and I am just summarizing the threads so you get an idea of what they are talking about. You should read the threads yourself as well, and I would call that 800 number I posted above.

I believe I nursed after having versed used on me for a nerve block in late 2010. It sounds familiar.

Info I found from the old forums on Hale's site:

About Versed:
    http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/discus/messages/39/39.html
    (THere's a lot of discussion on Versed, the passage I am quoting is from Midwife90 posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 11:58 am )

In general from what he seems to be saying (I recommend reading for yourself, of course) is that Versed leaves the plasma very quickly and therefor the milk. If mom is awake and alert, and it's been a couple hours after receiving it, chances are there is very little in the milk at all.

About the Vancomycin:
    http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/discus/messages/40/509.html

The concern they had with Vancomycin is that it *could* cause the baby to have bloody diarrhea and a condition called pseudomembranous colitis. However he also said that in a baby that develops that, they tend to use Vancomycin to treat it...

If it were me I would see about getting switched to a different, more breastfeeding friendly antibiotic. Actually... I'd demand it. But it sounds to me like it is relatively safe and would just require close monitoring of your little one. Of course, I have no idea how severe that condition is, so I'm not sure what I would do if I could not get another antibiotic.

Regarding Primaxin:
    http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/discus/me....html#POST5867

Not a lot on this one but he said the major things to watch for would be allergy or diarrhea (I would guess because it is a penicillin product?). If anyone in my family had a history of allergies to penicillin, I personally would probably not nurse.

Again, I'm not a doctor and there is more discussion on most of those meds in the links I posted, so I highly recommend you read them and make the decision yourself.
    Last edited by @llli*krystal; March 19th, 2011 at 09:25 PM.

I got my VBAC!

I'm sorry mama! Can you hand express the side your incision is on until you get the safety of medication part sorted out? Here's a good site showing how to hand express.

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Also, I'm not sure where the incision is, but have you considered hand expression? You might have a better time of clearing the milk out of that side by hand because you can be carefuller around the incision.

I know back with my first, I had a cyst removed from my one breast 18 months after she was born. I hadn't completely dried up; I usually had to express a little in the shower every couple of days. I did it after my incision and while it was scary looking (it was bloody milk) I was careful and no problems arose from it.

Just something to think about. Until then I'd definitely at least nurse her from the good side (once you sort out the medication stuff)

I got my VBAC!

im not on the versed and vancomycin now, sorry, should have clarified. that was just during and right after my surgery. as for the primaxin...its pcn??? IM allergic to pcn, even have 2...not 1 but TWO red allergy bracelets for it! ive had no reaction...but wow...cant believe they gave it to me!!! now what about her getting sick from the actual infection? thats completely false right?? im getting so frustrated, these dr's act like they know everything, when really they dont know much at all! (about bf'ing)

i called the helpline. it only gave me an option to leave a msg. so i did and hope someone calls back soon.

According to his post, it is penicillin based. But if you are allergic, I would certainly request a different med!

This suggests that it is usually avoided in those who have known penicillin allergies due to concerns to its main ingredient's similarity to penicillin (and therefor concern that an allergic reaction will occur.)

Read more here:
    http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/content/54/6/1155.full
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/552160_2

What does the package insert say? The last link says that it should caution using it if you are allergic to Penicillin.

As for the actual infection... I don't know. Women are frequently told that they can breastfeed during mastitis from my understanding... and if you are concerned then I just wouldn't nurse from the side with the infection.

I do recall seeing on one of those threads (sorry I do not remember which, I think it was the Vancomycin one) someone talking about "stripping" the pus out of your infected breast until the milk ran clean before nursing, so..? I mean, you were nursing while you had the infection before the surgery, right? So what has changed between then and now that they don't want you to nurse for fear of the infection? That confuses me.

I got my VBAC!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jazzy1210 View Post
    i called the helpline. it only gave me an option to leave a msg. so i did and hope someone calls back soon.
    Good. If they don't want to answer your question, find your local LLL Leader and have her call; they specifically state that they are there for nurses, doctors, midwives, and LLL to call to get information regarding nursing with meds.

I got my VBAC!