Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soy Milk?

Default Soy Milk?

My son is almost 14 months. We nurse 3-4x a day. I had been giving him a cup of cow's milk with his meals (he'd drink very little of it) up until last week when he had a stomach bug, and he went several days without dairy. Then I gave him some cow's milk yesterday and he was gassy and irritable.

I am putting the cow's milk on hold for now, and I was thinking about switching to soy. Anyone have any experience with giving their toddler soy milk?

Default Re: Soy Milk?

as long as your nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours you don' t have to worry about milk subs.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    as long as your nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours you don' t have to worry about milk subs.

I would give my son almond or hemp milk before I gave soy. Soy is a pretty common one for kiddos to have trouble with.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I agree that as long as you nurse a few times a day there is no need to sub in milk of any other kind as baby is getting plenty of calcium etc.. water is fine. I wouldn't give soy personally.. I have read some stuff about it that made me a little nervous.. you could look it up on your own if you wanted to.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Thanks, ladies. I decided not to go with the soy milk, and he seems to have been okay with cow's milk the past few weeks. He really only drinks a minimal amount, anyway (prob just a few ounces a day).

I agree with the other ladies about not really needing any additional milk since you are still nursing 3-4x/day. If you do additional milk, I would suggest Coconut milk. It contains lauric acid which is something that is found in BM. My kiddos really like it!
    ~Sarah

Married to the love of my life, Jordan

SAHM to Caleb (4/14/08) nursed for 19 months.
    Phoebe Grace (4/20/10), and 20 mths and counting!
    with #3, due May 2012

One other thing...Soy milk contains phytoestrogens. Soy formula contains the equivalent of approximately 5 birth control pills per day. I just think this is so interesting in a culture where soy is considered 'so healthy.'
    ~Sarah

Married to the love of my life, Jordan

SAHM to Caleb (4/14/08) nursed for 19 months.
    Phoebe Grace (4/20/10), and 20 mths and counting!
    with #3, due May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*caleb.momma View Post
    One other thing...Soy milk contains phytoestrogens. Soy formula contains the equivalent of approximately 5 birth control pills per day. I just think this is so interesting in a culture where soy is considered 'so healthy.'
    There is a lot of haphazard information in the media about soy, soy products, and soy formula. Researchers at the Linus Pauling Institute and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine have been researching the issue for over 30 years, and have yet to find any discernible evidence that soy isoflavones have had any health or reproductive effects as the phytoestrogen that is found in grains, legumes, etc. Plus, plant estrogen is much weaker than human estrogen and binds differently.

Are there other issues with soy? Maybe. But I am a little at all of the estrogen related comments re soy.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*caleb.momma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    There is a lot of haphazard information in the media about soy, soy products, and soy formula. Researchers at the Linus Pauling Institute and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine have been researching the issue for over 30 years, and have yet to find any discernible evidence that soy isoflavones have had any health or reproductive effects as the phytoestrogen that is found in grains, legumes, etc. Plus, plant estrogen is much weaker than human estrogen and binds differently.

Are there other issues with soy? Maybe. But I am a little at all of the estrogen related comments re soy.
    yeah, Im not conviced of the estrogen issues either....I was dairy-free before having ds1. Now I know I wasn't drinking soy formula, but I was consuming a fair bit of soy milk and soy cheese... I still got pregnant.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

I see that you are not going to go with soy, but I just wanted to respond. I gave my older two kids soy milk from the time they were 12 months till 2 years old. Not for any reason except that at the time we lived in an area where I could not buy organic milk (or any other alternative milk beverages) and I just didn't feel comfortable giving them regular non-organic milk. They are fine...the don't like soy milk anymore though ;-). With Caroline, she has a sensitivity to dairy so she drinks soy milk daily (as well as nursing 4-5x a day...but it's what she drinks at daycare). I put flaxseed oil and a probiotic in her cups too.

I love soy milk and prefer it to all the other milk-like beverages that I've tried.
    Mom to Caroline born 01.11.10, a 8 y.o. son and 10 y.o. daughter!