Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Flouride?

Default Flouride?

I only drink bottled water and was reading information regarding bf babies need for flouride. Should I give him a supplement or can I take a supplement? How many glasses of tap water a day would I need to ingest to get him the needed flouride? I don't drink the tap water because I don't like the taste, but if it is only a few glasses a day I can force myself.

Default Re: Flouride?

Hi and welcome to the forum! IMO, I don't think I'd give the baby a supplement. They are generally not recommended, and too much flouride can cause flourosis (white spots on the teeth). Flouride is important, but only a little is what's needed. I don't know exact amounts, but it's been my understanding that as long as you have SOME tap water (rather than ALL bottled or well water) it should be ok. Do you use tap water for cooking? Could you use it to mix orange juice concentrate, lemonade, coffee, tea?? I believe I have also seen flouridated bottled water at the grocery store.

I second that and would go further in saying that I wouldn't add it at all (including looking for bottled water with it). Stick with what may be in your tap water already, even if it's just a tad bit. It's really unhealthy and if I'm correct, I've read that it can cause cancer and other problems if too much is ingested. HTH

Another thing to consider, assuming you live in the U.S., is that there are hundreds of thousands of people who have well water and not city flouridated water. I grew up in a rural area and we had our own well. I turned out just fine and have good teeth, without any supplements and I still prefer the taste of natural hard well water to any city water anywhere.

Our ped. made a big deal about the flouride thing...I think it may just be the "in" thing to be worried about now for peds though. We actually live in a small city, but the water tastes horrible...and alot of city water isn't actually as healthy for you as you'd think it should be, so we added a PUR filter to our tap. I guess it doesn't filter out flouride...and the water ends up tasting like Ice Mountain or Evian bottled water. I use the filtered water for cooking too. I tried the Britta water pitcher, but I didn't like the taste of the water.

After reading this thread, I did an online search about flouride. I'd always heard that too much flouride is really bad for you, but I didn't know why, so I looked it up. What I found was actually really scary.

One of the most important things I read about was the fact that scientists in the 40's or 50's thought that flouride had to be ingested to do the most good for your teeth, however, dentists now say that that isn't true at all, it does not need to be ingested and actually does the most good when applied topically, ie. in toothpaste (which you don't eat, but spit out). Considering all of the harmful effects of ingesting too much flouride...flourosis (white spotting on teeth)...the possibility of bone cancer... some studies actually link too much flouride to lower IQ's!!!, I'm probably going to try to limit how much flouride my kids now ingest. The website I checked out www.fluoridealert.org actually mentioned how infants were most at risk of being overdosed as there is flouride in almost everything due to manufacturing with flouridated water, and if people formula fed their children, the amount of flouride in the mixed formula increased to well beyond what is recommended.

The website totally supports and promotes breastfeeding due to the risks of overexposure of flouride in infant formula as well as the regular health benefits of breastfeeding. I didn't even expect it to mention breastfeeding...after all, it was a mainstreem informational website, not affiliated with breastfeeding advocates as far as I knew.

Wow! Thanks for this post. I too drink bottled water and at the Dr. on Tues. she mentioned the flouride issue. She recommened my buying Nursery Water. I am not going to do it now. I told her we weren't doing the Poly Vi Sol and she was upset. Telling me that my DD needed a minimum of 2 30 minute sessions of direct sunlight a day. It's hard to know what to do.

Mia's Mom: Did your doc actually freak out on you because you chose not to follow her particular advice? My ped. just always looks at me funny if I tell her we aren't going to do this or that...like solids at 4.5 mos. Then my ped. will usually agree with me that it isn't necessary. Its almost like peds go to school and adopt their own idea what every child needs regardless of research and prescribe the exact same thing to absolutely every child.

I assume the Poly Vi Sol has Vitamin D? Honestly, if the Docs. took a minute to see if we spent time everyday outside playing with baby and took a moment to get to know us, and our thoughts and views on childcare, I think there would probably be alot less stuff prescribed than there is now. The flouride thing is so silly...if some docs actually took the time to research what they were telling patients, I'm sure some of them would be pretty surprised by their own prescriptions.

No offense to all you docs out there, I just think its a profession where its probably pretty easy to get in a rut and believe whatever they learned in medical school without having time to research other options and schools of thought on a variety of different things...too busy with the tons of patients they see every day I think.