Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reast milk changes as the baby grow

Default reast milk changes as the baby grow

If If breast milk changes as the baby grows then how beneficial is stored breastmilk going to be in a number of months? For example if you pump and freeze when your baby is 2 months old and feed them that breast milk when they are 3 or 4 months old then isn't that milk beneficial for the nutritional needs of the 2 month old?

Default Re: reast milk changes as the baby grow

That is true, but it is still more beneficial than formula.

What I do is send one "old" bottle of freezer milk and the rest fresh for the day @ daycare. That keeps it from getting too out of sync. If I get way too far ahead, sometimes I'll use the oldest milk to make my baby food (this was for my oldest - my 2 month old isn't eating solids yet of course).
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Breastmilk will ALWYS be beneficial to the baby, even if you feed a 6month old milk you pumped when he was 1month. The quality may be different but unless it's soapy or sour it's always good. Its just probably missing a few nutrients that's all.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sailoryue View Post
    Breastmilk will ALWYS be beneficial to the baby, even if you feed a 6month old milk you pumped when he was 1month.

Its just probably missing a few nutrients that's all.
    The nutrients should all still be there, but the proportions will be slightly different from the milk you're producing today.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree it's still way better than formula I've actually thought about the antibodies factor with pumped milk...that the baby would be getting antibodies that s/he doesn't necessarily need anymore or would have been the most beneficial at the time it was pumped. But, I think that all that just goes to show what an amazing substance breastmilk is.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

And the same is even more true of donor milk, but that is still typically much preferrable to formula. Think about it:
    Old/donor milk: slightlydifferent nutrient ratio and fat/sugar ratio from the individual optimal. Antibodies present, although some of these may be for antigens the baby is no longer in contact with (or never was in contact with), or ones the baby already has immunity to. Some antibodies still pertinent. Freezing will have killed the immune cells but all the other very complex beneficial stuff we can't create in a lab will be there.

Formula: dead substance made from isolated cow/soy proteins and oils. Never changes, never has any antibodies, immune cells, or the complex mix of oligosaccharides that are so good for an infant's digestive system.

I also do like jeno and give one frozen milk bottle on Monday's, from up to 2 months ago.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!