Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The Magic Number and Long Term Milk Production

Default The Magic Number and Long Term Milk Production

The Magic Number and Long Term Milk Production
    by Nancy Mohrbacher in Clinical Lactation, vol. 2, March 2011

With unrestricted access to the breast, most babies can easily adjust their mother's milk production by simply changing their breastfeeding length and frequency. However, many mothers with milk-production issues are not exclusively breastfeeding. Employed mothers, exclusively pumping mothers, and mothers using feeding schedules often seek help from clinicians when their milk production slows...

When milk production is not regulated solely by the baby, one teaching concept used successfully is the Magic Number (Mohrbacher, 2010). This term refers to the number of times each day a mother needs to remove milk from her breasts to maintain her milk production.

This specific threshold varies among mothers. Two primary dynamics determine an individual mother's Magic Number: degree of breast fullness and breast storage capacity.
    Read more.

Download the PDF.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; March 19th, 2011 at 06:30 AM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: The Magic Number and Long Term Milk Production

Awesome article!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Very interesting, thank you for posting!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Karen, I've often thought about this Magic Number concept since you posted about it ages ago. Thanks for re-posting.

Has anyone had success opening the website with a Mac and/or Firefox browser? I got a message that additional plugins are necessary but none were available for my system. I should download the PDF but the interactive version sounds so intriguing don't want to spoil the fun if I can avoid it!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    Karen, I've often thought about this Magic Number concept since you posted about it ages ago. Thanks for re-posting.

Has anyone had success opening the website with a Mac and/or Firefox browser? I got a message that additional plugins are necessary but none were available for my system. I should download the PDF but the interactive version sounds so intriguing don't want to spoil the fun if I can avoid it!
    I'm on a Mac and I can't open it with Firefox either. No plugins available. It works just fine in Safari version 5 though. Firefox did a major version upgrade last summer and it's never worked right for me since , so I switched to Safari permanently.

I'm afraid the interactive version isn't quite as exciting as it sounds. It's just the PDF embedded in the page with a scroll bar.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I read that article a few months ago. It is so good!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.