Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help...on the brink of quitting...

Default Please help...on the brink of quitting...

Hi, my LO is 4.5 months and I've gotten to the point of dreading feeding time. This makes me so sad because I thought breastfeeding would be such a great bonding and relaxing experience. Instead, both LO and I feel frustrated.

Starting at around 6 weeks, she would latch on and off multiple times before nursing for a longer period. Around 2 months she started painfully popping off and crying. I thought it was a stage, but she's getting more and more frustrated each day. She'll suck for 30 seconds to a minute and pop off. She'll stay on a little longer during letdown, and then after that she starts unlatching and crying. She acts VERY hyperactive during nursing, like she can't relax. She fidgets and pulls my nipple as she arches her back (ouch!). I know there is more milk in my breast because I can express it, but it's like she's too impatient to keep at it.

She's only gotten a bottle a handful of times. I use an SNS to supplement 4oz twice a day in the evening. Even while using the SNS she does this.

I feel like breastfeeding is tearing us apart instead of bringing us together. I wonder if I should just give it up and maybe she would be happier with bottles....

PLEASE, if anyone knows how to get her to stop this, I will try anything.

Default Re: Please help...on the brink of quitting...

awe I know how hard it can be sometimes they are just fussy for no good reason that mom can figure out.
    Hang in there!

try this link it has some good info:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

Your story sounds a lot like ours. My daughter did a lot of the same things you are describing. I finally made an appt with our ped and they said it sounded like reflux. They sent her for an upper Go scan and the milk would reflux the second it her her stomach. She was on mere for two days and she started latching perfectly and nursing for much longer periods of time. I was against meds at first but once I saw the difference it made, I ws sold. It might be worth it to check with your pediatrician just to rule it out. Good luck and hang in there!

Mama, I know it's hard. I so applaud you for continuing on despite the hurdles you've faced!

Perhaps something in this link will help you figure out what's bothering your LO: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"