Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stupid question

Thumbs down stupid question

i cant really find an answer to this but:
    what should breast milk smell like?
    when i breast feed my baby we smell like some kind of molded cheese...(i cant stand it) and i am really getting kinda grossed out by it. the milk is fresh and it doesnt taste wierd (i checked) but my hubby has mentioned it too. Its like this all the time and doesnt change when i freeze it or reheat it and its not clumpy or anything so i dont think its spoiled... This is really driving me nuts

thanks
    -stephyb

Default Re: stupid question

There is really no one way that BM should smell. It depends somewhat on what you eat.
    If your baby is eating it with no problem then it should be fine.
    Sorry the smell bothers you, maybe try changing eliminating some food in your diet that is smelly.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

It could possibly be something you are eating... I don't know otherwise. Personally, mine smells very faintly metallic but pretty much like nothing when it's fresh. When it dries though, such as on clothing or a towel, it's got the bad smell of spoiled cow's milk.

Have you eaten anything that is particularly strong-smelling recently?

i havent thought about my diet... you guys are sure smart. i would never of thought about that.

I haven't smelled my EBM, but Madeline's mouth always smells like cottage cheese.....

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My milk smells like sweet flowers. LOL - Seriously! At least I think so. And, I dont' know if the milk itself smells that way, but my boobs kind of smell that way. Maybe others around me would beg to differ.

There is never a stupid question, stephyb! My milk personally smells like nothing, but tastes sweet. Try drinking more water & as other people wrote, food that don't smell much. I would suggest veggies or fruits with a high water content.

Quote Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
    I haven't smelled my EBM, but Madeline's mouth always smells like cottage cheese.....
    LOL! I thought this was so funny, I'm not quite sure why. Maybe it's just the way you wrote it, with the "..."

My milk doesn't smell like sweet flowers, as a PP stated, but my DD's breath always does for some reason! I always take a sniff when she yawns!

I was going to ask the same question, but was too embarrassed! I am glad someone else has the same issue. I am saturated with that smell and so is my baby. Her hair smells like it too. My sister says her hair smells like bread. I think it has to do with what I eat. My husband is Mexican, so we eat a lot of spices, esp. garlic. It doesn't seem to bother her, so I guess she is ok. I haven't gotten up the nerve to taste the bm yet and she is 12 weeks old. I have just grown accustomed to it. You will too, eventually. That is one way I can tell when my milk has let-down--when I smell it. Isn't that weird? Hang in there, you'll soon welcome the smell (I hope.)
    Bella's mommy

Quote Originally Posted by shortmama View Post
    we eat a lot of spices, esp. garlic.
    I love spices, esp garlic. I eat garlic constantly. I love it, I cook it with everything. It has never seemed to change the smell of my milk or wether my baby likes the taste or not. Your milk has always smelled this way no matter what your diet is? I'm curious to see if it just varies form person to person.