Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Caffeine Free Iced Tea Mix, Diuretic?

Default Caffeine Free Iced Tea Mix, Diuretic?

Quick question: does anyone know if caffeine free iced tea mix is a diuretic? I'm going through copious amounts of bottled water now that I'm back to work and just started bringing in a 1.5l bottle of 4C caffeine free iced tea, but I wanted to make sure it's not dehydrating me since it's tea.

Default Re: Caffeine Free Iced Tea Mix, Diuretic?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monkee194 View Post
    Quick question: does anyone know if caffeine free iced tea mix is a diuretic? I'm going through copious amounts of bottled water now that I'm back to work and just started bringing in a 1.5l bottle of 4C caffeine free iced tea, but I wanted to make sure it's not dehydrating me since it's tea.
    I've read both yes and no. I've read that even uncaffeinated tea is dehydrating. But I don't understand how it would be, since I think that caffeine is the only natural diuretic in tea. So I'll be interested to hear what others say.

I've always drank lots of herbal teas and never even considered the possibility of getting dehydrated in the process.

That said.... probably the sugar and other chemicals in the iced tea mix aren't the best way to get hydrated I do know it's hard to keep up with water.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

It should be fine. No caffeine should mean that it's not a diuretic. However, just for the record, you could drink nothing but caffeinated liquids like tea or coffee and still remain hydrated. It would be terrible for you and probably make you sick from being overcaffeinated, but it wouldn't throw off your water/salt balance enough to make you dehydrated.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It should be fine. No caffeine should mean that it's not a diuretic. However, just for the record, you could drink nothing but caffeinated liquids like tea or coffee and still remain hydrated. It would be terrible for you and probably make you sick from being overcaffeinated, but it wouldn't throw off your water/salt balance enough to make you dehydrated.
    Really?! I had no idea!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

This is a fun little source on water and the myths surrounding it: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I didn't know that either!! I ended up reading up on this because I'm so impatient. Apparently red tea is naturally caffeine free and may be helpful in reducing colic, stomach cramps and fussiness. Not sure if these properties will come throught breastmilk, but it can also be helpful with eczema and diaper rash! You probably need the tea leaves for the skin stuff, but still good info! I also didn't realize that it contains calcium, which is great because I think dairy makes my LO gassy.

http://greenfertility.blogspot.com/2...pregnancy.html