Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mixing Milk from Different Days

Default Mixing Milk from Different Days

Trying to figure out my pumping/storage strategy and need some help!

Can I mix milk from various days? For example, I have 5 oz freezer bags. But if I only pump 3 oz today, can I put it in the fridge, pump 2 oz tomorrow, and then mix them together to freeze? Or does milk from each day need to be stored separately?

And for eating, can you mix milk from different days into one bottle? Someone told me you couldn't, but I'm wondering why. Seems like it wouldn't matter.

THANKS!!

Default Re: Mixing Milk from Different Days

Can I mix milk from various days? For example, I have 5 oz freezer bags. But if I only pump 3 oz today, can I put it in the fridge, pump 2 oz tomorrow, and then mix them together to freeze? Or does milk from each day need to be stored separately?
    You can mix milk from different days. Allow it to cool completely before mixing, and make sure it is labeled with the date of the oldest milk in the bottle.

When using the stored milk, you may want your caregivers to offer portions that are smaller than 5 oz, and feed the baby more frequently. That way there's less likely to be unfinished milk in the bottle, which may need to be dumped. Also, many breastfed babies prefer to eat small amounts more often, rather than a huge amount infrequently.

And for eating, can you mix milk from different days into one bottle? Someone told me you couldn't, but I'm wondering why. Seems like it wouldn't matter.
    Yes, go right ahead. It shouldn't matter at all.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree with PP! Used to mix milk for DS all the time. No worries there
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Before mixing, I would first make sure I didn't have a lipase problem. This happens when an enzyme that is supposed to be in your milk and is in your milk is activate, and it "chews" up the fat and makes the milk taste and smell bad. This can happen within hours for some women or a few days for others. If you have this, mixing milk that has been standing for a day or two into a bottle of new milk may make the newer milk smell and taste bad before its time, depending on the severity and how much lipase milk you are adding. If it's just a little bit of lipase milk, mixing could mask the flavor and make it more palatable. But every baby has a different tolerance level for lipase milk, and if your baby doesn't have a high tolerance, mixing may mean you end up tossing a lot of milk.

Because of my lipase problem, I don't mix bottles from different days. My lipase becomes a problem after 24 hours. But I mix from different sessions during the day and I guarantee, if I didn't have a lipase problem, I would mix from different days.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!