Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mom keeps losing weight??

Default Mom keeps losing weight??

Ok, don't hate me. I am down below pre-pregnancy weight now. I eat what I want, whenever I want but am still losing. Could this be from breastfeeding? I am getting lots of calories and am moderately active. Should I be concerned? I am not underweight yet, but it won't be much longer. I have lots energy. My son is 8 months old. I nurse whenever he wants.
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

Default Re: Mom keeps losing weight??

Ah, the breastfeeding diet! Yep, totally normal. I lost 30 lbs nursing my first and I wasn't even trying. I loved it! But if you're getting to be underweight, start snacking more.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm down to an all-time low since my mid-20s (when I was running all the time - now my exercise consists of sometimes taking the stairs from the subway, and chasing a toddler). Agreed, if you're getting to an unhealthy point, make sure you are eating enough quantity, and enough good fats. Your body will kind of prioritize your baby's nutritional needs over yours while you are BF'ing, so make sure you're getting your vitamins and lots of good oils.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'm right there with you I've been wondering what is going to happen when he stops BF. Will I gain 10lbs overnight? Hope not, I eat healthy and exercise (trying to be more consistent), but it's just been so easy to lose the weight that I don't want to celebrate just yet...hehe. Make sure you keep eating and have healthy snacks
    DS was born June - 2010
    and with lots of help and support from my hubby
    Ready to pump wean!!

that happened to me when I was BFing my first, I got down to 100 lbs which was 20 lbs below what I was when I got pregnant. After about a year, the weight slowly came back up, and I wasn't scary skinny.
    I added a lot of healthy fats into my cooking, lots of smoothies added on top of the three meals plus two snacks (okay I snacked more than that )
    I sort of wished I would have that problem BFing this time around, but alas no such luck
    I bet you'll notice a difference in the next few months, but until then make sure you are eating well and maintaining good fluid intake!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Same here...LO is just under 4 months old and I have lost almost 50 of the 60 pounds of pregnancy weight already without hardly doing anything.

20 came off in the hospital - I had A LOT of fluid. And the next 20 came off pretty quick, but I had assumed that was because I started going back to Zumba and walking with friends again when LO was about 2 months old. But then, I stopped going to Zumba and I had assumed I had stopped losing weight until my mom and my friends started asking - and sure enough, I weighed myself and almost another 10 pounds had come off.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Ok, sounds pretty normal then. I just never lost this much weight without trying before. I think extended breastfeeding just got even more appealing!!!!
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

Nursing can burn 500 to 600 calories a day. If you tried to exercise enough to burn off this much it would be really tough. I have lost weight consistently every month while nursing. Do your best to keep snacking between meals. High quality fats and calories from foods like nuts and cheeses are great and easy to eat one handed while nursing your LO. I also got into the habit of enjoying a bowl of ice cream every night. If you can do it, why not enjoy it while you can.

The effortless maintaining of a "girlish figure" is definitely on my list of reasons why I won't be weaning anytime soon. As I sometimes joke, who cares about the nutritional benefits? It's all about ME and MY NEEDS. Hahahaha.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I did this with each of my boys and going through it now with DS3. Everything will even out eventually. I don't think breastfeeding is all to blame though. I think running around like a crazy woman all the time while taking care of an infant/toddler is partly to blame. I try to pack in more snacks and make sure they are not empty calorie snacks. String cheese, cottage cheese, etc. Add some EVOO to side dishes for the extra boost in good fats. I coat brown rice with EVOO before adding broth as an example. Take a good multivitamin daily and make sure you get some form of aerobic exercise. The excercise will increase your appetite. I battle weight all the time. And some will say I'm lucky but it is no different than battling being overweight. It is hard to force yourself to eat more, I know. As long as you aren't severly underweight you should be ok. With DS2 I actually had someone ask me if I was anorexic. WTHeck right? I wasn't that skinny. I'm 5'2" and I was about 100 lbs at that time but I was weight training quite a bit then and didn't look unhealthy at all. Prepregnancy this time around I was at 130 lbs and now I'm 112 lbs. I was heavier prepregnancy due to BC though. Nasty stuff always makes me put on 10-15 lbs.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton