Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting help!

Default Biting help!

I'm actually asking on behalf of a friend, as well as my own! Our boys are both 7 months (they're 2 weeks apart ), and we're both having biting issues.

I'll start with my friend. Her son, S, has taken to biting hard enough to make her cry. Whenever this happens, she pulls him off, tells him "no" and waits a moment before putting him back on. He'll seem to grasp the concept and not bite again for the rest of the day, but the next day he'll start biting again. She's almost at her wits' end, and to top it off her husband is beginning to suggest she stop breastfeeding and switch to formula!

My son, T, doesn't bite at the breast (yet), but will bite my shoulders, my hands, my wrists, my arms, and my collar bone (his favorite). I usually say something along the lines of "OW! No, we do NOT bite!" and put him down. He usually grins at me like it's a big joke and will grab whichever toy is nearest and start playing with it.

What can we do that we're not already doing? TIA!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Default Re: Biting help!

Biting can be caused by teething. I had an issue with biting (not while nursing) with DS3 and I took him to a chiropractor. He was not napping well and getting ear infections often. His C1 was out of alignment due to being breech until 32ish weeks. The biting stopped almost imediately and he started taking 2 hour long naps every day. he was about your LO's age.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3boysmomma View Post
    Biting can be caused by teething. I had an issue with biting (not while nursing) with DS3 and I took him to a chiropractor. He was not napping well and getting ear infections often. His C1 was out of alignment due to being breech until 32ish weeks. The biting stopped almost imediately and he started taking 2 hour long naps every day. he was about your LO's age.
    Wow, it would have never crossed my mind to take a LO to the chiropractor. My LO will not nap more than 30 minutes most of the time. Did your LO need x-rays?

As for the biting, my DS started biting me at around 4 months (the start of teething) and I would yelp and then tell him "No". He stopped and has bitten me two times since then. He has his two bottom teeth so it hurt. The first time he was trying to get my attention and the second he didn't want to nurse. I definitely think that he knows that he shouldn't do it, I could tell because he was waiting for my reaction both times.
    DS was born June - 2010
    and with lots of help and support from my hubby
    Ready to pump wean!!

Nope no xrays!
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

As far as biting at the breast goes, I've had a little trouble with this since DD's two lower teeth came in a few weeks ago (SO cute ). I was taking her off immediately when she bites and tell her "no biting" and then put her on again, only to get bit again! What I eventually figured out was the biting was her way of saying "all done." So now I watch her when she seems to be slowing down and if she comes off on her own, I don't offer her more. If she bites I tell her "no biting" and I do not put her back on. I've gone two days without being bit now and she seems to be figuring out that's not how we communicate.

Of course, babies bite for different reasons. The point is you have to be calm enough when they do it to assess the situation and see if you can draw any parallels with other times they have bit. Your biting problem makes me think teething. Has your LO been fussy otherwise? Chewing more vigorously on his toys? If not, I dunno.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Hello again!

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, this is the first chance I've had to come here in a few days.

I think with my LO, T, it was teething. His second lower front tooth just erupted this weekend and I haven't been bitten since.

My friend's son, S, is still biting though. He doesn't do it every day; in fact, there seems to be no discernible pattern to it.

I don't think our insurance covers chiropractors.
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss