Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing to Sleep

Default Nursing to Sleep

First time forum participant here! So glad this resource exists.

I'm happily nursing my 15 month old 2-3 times a day. At wakeup, into a nap, and to sleep. He sleeps through the night (finally!) and just started doing on his own accord a few weeks ago.

Here's my question/concern.

I'd like for my husband to be able to put him to sleep in a peaceful way, in the event that I can not be here to do it myself (emergency for instance). There is the possibility that starting in the fall, I will return to work and my husband will be putting him down for naps. We have plenty of time to plan for it, which is why I'm thinking about it now.

Any suggestions of how to do this gradually? The ideas that came to me were getting my husband involved now in our bedtime routine, even if we are still nursing. Perhaps have him do the glider/crib transfer. Also perhaps we incorporate music during nursing so he has another association with drifting off to sleep that is not nursing-related. I'm sure there are other ideas out there. He does fall asleep on his own in the car, not sure if that info helps.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Nursing to Sleep

Hi Mama,

I think it's a good idea to have your husband get involved with your son's nap/bedtime routine! Maybe start with having him read some stories in the rocker before you nurse him. Then at some point nursing him and then your husband can rock him afterwards.

I have found that my husband and kids figure out how to do bedtime without me around, which is only an occassional thing. He's been involved with the bedtime routine all along though, but has put my son, whose 26 months and usually nurses to sleep, down for naps/bedtime with and without me around, and it usually is just fine.

Congrats on your son sleeping through the night! Mine still doesn't...not in his own bed anyways! Someday...
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months