Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Still coughing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,726

    Default Still coughing

    Hey all... Sophie is still coughing. She only does it once or twice a day (not including if she gets too much super-letdown), but when she does cough for seemingly no reason, it is until her poor little eyes water. Except for a stuffy nose, and sneezes, she has no other symptoms (edit: no other symptoms of illness>)... The ped told me not to worry, but to "watch"- what more should I watch for? I take her temp several times a day and it has stayed normal. Her poos and pees are normal. She gets fussy a few times, but it always seems to pass fairly quickly, or with gas.

    The coughing is starting to bother me though. Coupled with sneezes and stuffiness I am getting pretty concerned... But the ped said "just watch." When's a good time to call her again? Like I said, when she coughs, it's as if she got something caught in her throat, her eyes water and the lids get a little red. I've noticed a little more drool than usual lately- could she just be accidentally "half-breathing in" some spit?
    Last edited by JustSasha; October 26th, 2006 at 01:13 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17

    Smile Re: Still coughing

    Chad had a spell of coughing fits at about 3 months and it lasted until he was about 5 months. The ped told me that it was excess drool and that he was starting to teeth. Once he cut his first tooth, and the drool subsided, so did the coughing. He just didn't know how to swollow all the drool, but as he got older, he learned and now he is fine. I am sure that is the same thing going on with your lo. I wouldn't worry unless other symptoms appear or things get worse, like the lo starts choking. Otherwise, just relax and start looking for teeth.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    893

    Default Re: Still coughing

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Hey all... Sophie is still coughing. She only does it once or twice a day (not including if she gets too much super-letdown), but when she does cough for seemingly no reason, it is until her poor little eyes water. Except for a stuffy nose, and sneezes, she has no other symptoms... The ped told me not to worry, but to "watch"- what more should I watch for? I take her temp several times a day and it has stayed normal. Her poos and pees are normal. She gets fussy a few times, but it always seems to pass fairly quickly, or with gas.

    The coughing is starting to bother me though. Coupled with sneezes and stuffiness I am getting pretty concerned... But the ped said "just watch." When's a good time to call her again? Like I said, when she coughs, it's as if she got something caught in her throat, her eyes water and the lids get a little red. I've noticed a little more drool than usual lately- could she just be accidentally "half-breathing in" some spit?

    Is she doing anything else like arching her back after feedings or during feedings or scratching at her chest? Is she swallowing a lot after she nurses for no apparent reason?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,467

    Default Re: Still coughing

    DS does the same thing sometimes. Just stuff coming back up into his throat occasionally. That and the fact he's drooling pretty good. They aren't quite there yet mentally to remember to swallow that exess stuff.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,726

    Default Re: Still coughing

    Quote Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
    Is she doing anything else like arching her back after feedings or during feedings or scratching at her chest? Is she swallowing a lot after she nurses for no apparent reason?
    YES! WIERD! She always has a fit (including arm flailing and arching) right after coming off of the breast, and often she acts like she has a funny taste in her mouth or smacks her lips. What are you suggesting it is?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    893

    Default Re: Still coughing

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    YES! WIERD! She always has a fit (including arm flailing and arching) right after coming off of the breast, and often she acts like she has a funny taste in her mouth or smacks her lips. What are you suggesting it is?
    Arching could be a sign of reflux, which can cause coughing (the reflux, not the arching). My DD had silent reflux, she would arch her back, swallowed after eating (a hour afterwards, 2 hours afterwards, etc), cough/gag/choke, scratch at her chest, have fussy periods, etc....I would bring it to your pedi's attention.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,726

    Default Re: Still coughing

    Quote Originally Posted by AJsmommy View Post
    DS does the same thing sometimes. Just stuff coming back up into his throat occasionally. That and the fact he's drooling pretty good. They aren't quite there yet mentally to remember to swallow that exess stuff.
    This seems totally plausible. Sometimes when she coughs it is because a tiny bit of spit up came up, but not out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chad's_Mommy View Post
    I am sure that is the same thing going on with your lo. I wouldn't worry unless other symptoms appear or things get worse, like the lo starts choking. Otherwise, just relax and start looking for teeth.
    My baby is only almost 7 weeks though... Can teething start this soon? She does have more drool suddenly, and acts like her mouth tastes/feels funny.

    Quote Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
    Arching could be a sign of reflux, which can cause coughing (the reflux, not the arching). My DD had silent reflux, she would arch her back, swallowed after eating (a hour afterwards, 2 hours afterwards, etc), cough/gag/choke, scratch at her chest, have fussy periods, etc....I would bring it to your pedi's attention.
    I recently had to take her to the ER for forceful vomiting too, the nurse there said I should ask about it as well. She doesn't even spit up very much, she's only had a couple random bouts of vomiting. But all the other symptoms seem to coincide. Thanks for your help- I'll definately ask.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    893

    Default Re: Still coughing

    Madeline is a year old and has only spit up (since we got her home) 6 times, she had sever (stage 4) reflux (average was 110 episodes a hour after feeding found with a PH Probe). A lot of doctors would not believe that she had reflux due to she was gaining weight and wasn't a spitter. A great place to find out info about reflux is http://www.marci-kids.com/index.html. I'm not say that she deffently has it, but would be worth checking into. Good Luck, it can be hard, your doing a great job about nursing her, that is the best thing out there!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,726

    Default Re: Still coughing

    Quote Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
    Madeline is a year old and has only spit up (since we got her home) 6 times, she had sever (stage 4) reflux (average was 110 episodes a hour after feeding found with a PH Probe). A lot of doctors would not believe that she had reflux due to she was gaining weight and wasn't a spitter. A great place to find out info about reflux is http://www.marci-kids.com/index.html. I'm not say that she deffently has it, but would be worth checking into. Good Luck, it can be hard, your doing a great job about nursing her, that is the best thing out there!!!
    I was reading about it, and OMG, it really rung a bell. It said reflux symptoms include- coughing fits when not ill, gagging, "wet" sounding burps, irritability and arching during and after feedings, crying very suddenly, and hiccuping often. Sophie does ALL of these things, on a DAILY basis! The poor thing...

    Her next appointment with the pediatrician is in 10 days. If she were to have reflux, and until then I keep her upright to feed, etc, then would it be safe to wait until then to get her looked at? What do you think?
    Last edited by JustSasha; October 26th, 2006 at 01:16 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,726

    Default Re: Still coughing

    Also, how do they diagnose reflux?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •