Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting enough calories?

Default Getting enough calories?

A momma friend of mine made a few comments today that now have me all worried. I told her Sofia was tired alot lately and has her cranky moments throughout the day where she just wants to be held or she walks around rubbing her eyes (usually around 4-5 pm). She takes one nap a day from 11-2ish, usually.
    Anyway, she went on to tell me that it could be that Sofia is not getting enough calories from my breastmilk and that I may need to supplement with Enfagrow formula. Do you think that's possible?
    I will say that Sofia is a good eater...she loves her eggs and berries in the morning...and her fish and veggies for dinner, etc...there really isn't much that she doesn't like. Now she still nurses about 3 times in the morning (1 is a good session and the other 2 are "snacks"). Then 1 "snack" nursing in the afternoon and a good amount of nursing at bedtime. And no nursing at night (she's a good sleeper). I honestly think the whiny/yawning baby that comes out around 4 o'clock everyday is due to boredom when we're home. Anyway, now I'm all concerned that maybe S is deficient in something or not getting enough calories. But all my BF mommas that I know never had to supplement with formula...even if their babies only nursed a few times a day. I obviously don't know how much milk she gets from me, but I can audibly hear her swallowing when she does nurse. Am I worrying for nothing? Do most toddlers have their "cranky" time of day?
    Last edited by @llli*italianprinses; March 16th, 2011 at 08:44 PM.
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 7 months!

Default Re: Getting enough calories?

She sounds normal to me. Some kids still want a small second nap at that age, so her being tired and cranky and needy sounds fine to me. She eats well! And she's getting a lot of breastmilk from you. I don't think you need to be worried, mama.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Your friend is nuts. What does she think people did before Enfagrow?

I may have missed exactly how old your baby is, but my 19-month-old gets stir crazy around that time if day, esp if he hasn't gotten enough outdoor play. Do you think you could push her nap forward some?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

If you're concerned i would add in a few more nursing sessions and give her good fats like avocado, egg yolks and whole milk yogurt. I think she needs a nap. What's her weight/ growth rate like?

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    Your friend is nuts. What does she think people did before Enfagrow?

I may have missed exactly how old your baby is, but my 19-month-old gets stir crazy around that time if day, esp if he hasn't gotten enough outdoor play. Do you think you could push her nap forward some?
    LOL! That's what I thought too! But of course, I can't help but wonder...
    Plus I looked into that stuff online...the ingredients are junk. Yuck!

My baby is almost 15 months (next week). As far as the nap...she starts yawning and getting clingy by 10! But again, could be boredom. If we're out and about, she's fine...but if we're home, she's pulling on me to be picked up around 10ish. So I was wondering if I should try for another afternoon nap. Because when I put her down around noon, she'll sleep til about 2:30 and wake up tired still. Today I tried putting her down at 10:30 (she fell asleep at 11, woke up at 1:30). I tried a small quickie nap at 4, but she wasn't having it. So maybe I just haven't found the right nap routine? (versus my friends theory of not enough calories!)
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    She sounds normal to me. Some kids still want a small second nap at that age, so her being tired and cranky and needy sounds fine to me. She eats well! And she's getting a lot of breastmilk from you. I don't think you need to be worried, mama.
    Thank you I'm always second guessing myself as it is...so to have someone put thoughts in my head...so not needed! I'm always wondering if she gets enough milk during her "snack" sessions...which are sometimes shorter than 5 minutes. Is that too short to be sufficient????

I know plenty of toddlers 15 months or older who still need 2 naps. We have been one-day-napping since around 13 or 14 months but still get tired and a little crabby in the evenings. If her energy seems good and she's gaining some wt (it does slow down when they're that age) she is probably fine. Keep offering her nutritious solids and your milk. Enfagrow is seriously not what she needs.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

DS is 14 months and still takes two naps a day.

Have you had her iron levels checked? Any chance she could be anemic?
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*italianprinses View Post
    Thank you I'm always second guessing myself as it is...so to have someone put thoughts in my head...so not needed! I'm always wondering if she gets enough milk during her "snack" sessions...which are sometimes shorter than 5 minutes. Is that too short to be sufficient????
    absolutely. Babies become supper efficient and can get enough in a very short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    I know plenty of toddlers 15 months or older who still need 2 naps. We have been one-day-napping since around 13 or 14 months but still get tired and a little crabby in the evenings. If her energy seems good and she's gaining some wt (it does slow down when they're that age) she is probably fine. Keep offering her nutritious solids and your milk. Enfagrow is seriously not what she needs.

My 14 month old still needs two naps. Could you try letting her go down at 10 when she gets clingy and then again later in the afternoon?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylove View Post
    absolutely. Babies become supper efficient and can get enough in a very short period of time.
    I guess I'm still thinking that she needs to latch on for awhile and wait for that letdown. I feel like there's no way any milk is coming out in those brief sessions, ha! But there must be, I hear her swallowing!