Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaned!! Can't believe it went so smoothyl!!

Default Weaned!! Can't believe it went so smoothyl!!

For all the times people wold me "the longer you wait, the harder it will be to wean him!!" I really feel like they could not have been more wrong!

I could not have planned it better myself (I didn't really plan anything actually).

Once I got pregnant again, and with my son being a toddler, as exhaustion set in and sore boobs I started to long for weaning and was not sure what do to. But my son always stayed one step ahead of me-- maybe the milk changed due to pregnancy but he easily dropped his morning nursing and just had no interest.

He kept up his bedtime nursing for about a month but that grew shorter and shorter and just around the time I started to wonder "should i try to skip a day?" He skipped a day. Then another day. And then he just skipped an entire week as of today so I think he might be all wrapped up!! I still offered every night this past week (boobs uncomfortable) but he had zero interest so I really feel like he was 100% ready to move on with ease, which is a nice feeling!!

My son is 1 month shy of turning 3 and I must say we've had a wonderful nursing experience... the early months were rough as all get out (scabbed nipples, horrible supply issues, three rounds of thrush, reverse cycling when I went back to work, clogs when I went back to work, etc!!) But after we got through that hard start, it's been SUCH a blessing to us both to enjoy his great health, great moods, and easy bedtimes :-) I feel very proud of getting past the challenges and even the long months of crazy pumping. It was a nice perk that from age 12 months through now has been 100% easy and a joy!

I can't believe we made it!! I thought I'd be sad when it ended, but being pregnant definitely has me feeling quite "ready" for the weaning too :-)

Default Re: Weaned!! Can't believe it went so smoothyl!!

Thank you for sharing..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Congratulations on your new baby and on such a successful bf relationship
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

It's been a month now, I think , and sometimes my son catches me dressing and smiles & says "I want some Lecheeeeee!!!!" but then he laughs hysterically like it's the best private joke ever. I still cannot believe it was so easy!

Wow, what a nice baby-led weaning. The way Nature intended, your son is very lucky!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Wow, thanks for sharing. I never imagined I'd be breastfeeding an almost 2 year old and sometimes wonder if he'll bf forever (although I know he won't). It's great to hear about a baby-led weaning story that is so utterly positive.

Congratulations!! Best wishes for a smooth nursing relationship with your next baby.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thank you for sharing!!!

I'm starting to wonder how it will play out for my almost-two year old if I get pregnant soon... wondering, for example, whether toddlers really ever just self-wean if allowed to do so. Your story is so encouraging to just let it all play out!