Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best ways to gradually wean? Or maybe partially wean?

Default Best ways to gradually wean? Or maybe partially wean?

My daughter is 13 months old, and nursing 5-7 times a day (including once or twice a night), and she eats solids pretty well as well. I do want to gently start the weaning process, though I'm in no hurry. But I'm about to start a very demanding period at work, and it would be great if I could not nurse/pump during the day at least.

So my question is, would it be okay at this age--nutritionally and otherwise--to replace her day time feeds with cows milk? If so, how should I do it?

Also, if we dropped down to only 2-3 feedings per day, would we be able to sustain this for a while or would my supply disappear fairly soon? Would I need to pump?

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Best ways to gradually wean? Or maybe partially wean?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marinak View Post
    So my question is, would it be okay at this age--nutritionally and otherwise--to replace her day time feeds with cows milk? If so, how should I do it?
    Yes. You can just offer cow's milk in a cup, sippy cup, or bottle (I wouldn't introduce a bottle for the first time at this point, though). Assuming your daughter doesn't have any sensitivities, this should be fine. Keep in mind that she may still want to nurse, though. My LO gets cow's milk but that doesn't seem to stop him from wanting to nurse, bc nursing is about more than just food. I remember 13-14 months being a very intense nursing time for Joe, these things tend to go in cycles.

Also, if we dropped down to only 2-3 feedings per day, would we be able to sustain this for a while or would my supply disappear fairly soon? Would I need to pump?
    After a year, your supply should be very stable, and you can nurse just a couple times a day indefinitely, and not lose your supply.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Default Re: Best ways to gradually wean? Or maybe partially wean?

thanks a ton! I don't mind if she still wants to nurse sometimes, just as long as I know that she's getting enough milk while I'm away and I don't have to pump. now let's see if she's okay with cows milk...