Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfume?

Default Perfume?

I remember that it is recommended to avoid using perfume or scented products when nursing a newborn because of their sensitivity to smell, etc... how long should I avoid it? I have a new body spray I want to try (not on the breasts of course) but I don't want it to bother Jackson.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Perfume?

I avoided perfumes as long as I was nursing DD1 and I'm doing the same with DD2. Simply because they're too close to it and can't get away from it if they're nursing. Like being stuck in an elevator with a guy with too much cologne.

If I'm going out and I want to wear some, I spray 1 squirt in the air and walk through it. That way it's mostly in my hair and very light.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

i started wearing perfume at 8 weeks ish, just on my wrists.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I think it depends on the kid. I just threw out my perfumes because my LO is sooo sensitive she can't even use sensitive soap (she gets clean with baking soda). But scent can be such a wonderful thing, and hold strong memories. I would suggest starting, like a pp said, with it on your wrists and go from there.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I avoided perfumes as long as I was nursing
    This is what I did as well.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

I avoided perfumes as long as I was nursing
    Me, too. I used to always wear body spray and I recently cleaned out my stash and made a trash pile. I figure after 3+ years they're probably rancid . I really have no desire to wear perfume/body spray anymore. I make and use scented soaps and lotions, so I use those instead.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I avoided perfumes as long as I was nursing DD1 and I'm doing the same with DD2. Simply because they're too close to it and can't get away from it if they're nursing. Like being stuck in an elevator with a guy with too much cologne.

If I'm going out and I want to wear some, I spray 1 squirt in the air and walk through it. That way it's mostly in my hair and very light.
    Ditto on this whole post, but I only have one baby

That said, I definitely like the idea of letting my daughter associate a particular scent/perfume with mama, so maybe I'll start wearing it again after she's finished nursing. I remember really positive associations with my mother's perfume when I was a child - especially the way it smelled when she'd been wearing it all day and her skin was damp with a little perspiration (Texas summers more than 30 years ago, hahaha) when she'd pick me up after work. Go figure

I stopped wearing perfume when I got pregnant cause I couldn't take the smell. I got used to not wearing it so it's only on special occasions that I do.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I am going to hold off then. I remember rarely wearing it while nursing DD, only on date night or something which happened maybe once every other month .
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I'd never heard of this actually? When I was prego I couldn't wear it because it smelled AWFUL, so once I had DS I've worn it every day. He hasn't had any issues with it. The brand is Philosophy & is known for light and airy frangrances.
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover