Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craniosacral Therapy Question

Default Craniosacral Therapy Question

Hi! Hoo boy, where to start. I have a six-month-old son and we've had trouble nursing from the very beginning. I was finally able to get him to nurse for a few months with a nipple shield, but I've had to exclusively pump for him for the last couple months since he completely refused to nurse.

I have no supply issues, but according to my midwife (who is a certified lactation consultant) he has a really weak suck. And it's true, he doesn't like to suck on things as much as he did as a newborn. He likes pacifiers, but only to chew on, and it seemed like he wasn't able to suck out enough milk when he nursed, regardless of the latch. He got so upset and frusterated that he would scream and cry whenver I tried to nurse him, so I switched to pumping. I also work four days a week, so I have to pump for daycare, anyway.

My midwife suggested I try craniosacral therapy for the suck issue so we have an apointment set up for a couple weeks from now. Has anyone had any experience with a craniosacral therapist? I really don't know what to expect.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Mommy to Jasper Nicolaus, born Sep 14, 2010

cloth diapering, baby wearing mama
    Lovin' my sweet lil guy!

Default Re: Craniosacral Therapy Question

I'm a big lover of craniosacral therapy. I've gone monthly/twice a month for years myself. We bring Max in when he's having a specific issue. A year ago he had sort of chronic ear infections and we took him in and he opened the tubes right up and he hasn't had one since!

Good luck, I hope you get good results.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Is your midwife hoping that the therapy will bring your baby back to the breast? Is a pediatrician able to refer you, or is the therapy not usually covered by insurance?

Just curious because I'm an EP'er for almost the same amount of time and I would love to get my baby to breastfeed - I'm willing to do anything that won't traumatize her!
    Last edited by @llli*marley-n-emily; March 16th, 2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typos, of course

Both of my kids have been seen by a cranial osteopath. We had good results with each child. I am a firm believer in this form of medicine. I would recommend it to anyone.

What kind of bottle do you have him using? Is it a slow flow nipple? How does he do with that?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marley-n-emily View Post
    Is your midwife hoping that the therapy will bring your baby back to the breast? Is a pediatrician able to refer you, or is the therapy not usually covered by insurance?
    My midwife said that since LO has such a weak suck, he wasn't able to get enough milk and became to frusterated to nurse. She's hoping that if we can get the sucking issue fixed, I can (hopefully) get him to nurse again and he'll want to keep nursing because he'll be able to get enough milk out. I guess CST can also work if your baby has any sort of jaw/head/neck alignment issues that might make nursing painful or difficult. It's definitely worth a try!

I'm pretty sure my insurance isn't going to cover it, so we're just going to pay for it out of pocket. If it works, it's definitely worth it! I don't think my pediatrician will refer us, but LO has his six-month apointment today so I'm going to ask.

And I hear you! I'm so tired of pumping 8+ times a day that I'm willing to try anything to help LO nurse again. And I've heard some really good things about CST, so here's hoping!

Lovin' my sweet lil guy!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Both of my kids have been seen by a cranial osteopath. We had good results with each child. I am a firm believer in this form of medicine. I would recommend it to anyone.

What kind of bottle do you have him using? Is it a slow flow nipple? How does he do with that?
    My midwife is a huge supporter of CST as well and I definitely trust her, so I'm excited to try it out!

We've been using the Medela bottles with the slow-flow nipples, but after doing some research we just switched to the Nuk bottles and slow-flow nipples. He's had no problem with either one, or with switching between the two.

Lovin' my sweet lil guy!

Have you seen a lactation consultant or contacted your local La Leche League leader? I have no doubt that the CS therapy will help, but you may also need other support and help to strengthen his suck.

What was your delivery like?

ETA I just saw that you MW is a LC.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

WOW! Your LO sounds just like mine! (Only mine's younger) DS had not BF in about a month, then we had CST 1x - next day he BF well for 15 min - which was huge for us! Over the past week he has gone backwards, but we will have CST again beginning of next week. I'm thinking progress does not always happen in a straight line.

My insurance covers ours except a $10 copay - i would certainly try and get a referral from ped. even if breastfeeding is not 'necessary' a weak suck could be problematic in any manner of eating. I'm sure your ped wouldn't have any problem referring - most doctors here will refer to anything you ask, i don't know if that's unusual or not.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

No advice, just chiming in to say your little Jasper's pic is CRAZY CUTE!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...