Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk for special occasions?

Default Milk for special occasions?

I plan on giving my LO 99.9% breast, as I am a stay at home mother. How do I prepare enough stored milk for that .1% of the time when we have a special event to attend?

Will pumping affect my milk supply?

What type of pumping schedule should I put myself on?

How long does milk refrigerate/ freeze for?

Once my milk supply is established, is there no room for extra pumping?

HELP!

Default Re: Milk for special occasions?

1) the more you pump, the more you'll make. You are more sensitive the younger your baby is.

2) I wouldn't do any kind of schedule. You might want to pump a few times now to have a back up I your freezer in case there is a last minute thing. For most times, though, you'll know ahead of time you've got something; one or two days before, pump after a morning feed (this is when most mamas have the best supply). You should then have enough for whatever.

3) A week in the fridge, 4-6 mos in a regular freezer (NOT one thats inside a refrigerator), up to a year in deep freeze (sub-zero).

4) There will be room, it just may take you a few pumping sessions to get what you need.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thank you so much!! HUGE relief! Do you use bags for storage? I am looking at the Madela bags for my Madela pump, but I'm not sure what's best for storage.

It's a personal preference. I use Nuk (formerly Gerber) bags. I personally think the medela bags are too stiff to freeze flat. If you aren't going to be storing that much, it probably doesn't matter. I'd consider getting a few of the storage bottles you can freeze in a re-use. For me, since I work full time and store a higher volume, it makes more sense to store in bags that fit the bottles I use (playtex drop-ins).
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos