Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: MILK SUPPLY GONE -- PLEASE HELP ME!!

Default MILK SUPPLY GONE -- PLEASE HELP ME!!

About a week ago, all four of my children (and me) came down with a really nasty bug. Fevers ensued and eventually, it turned into an ear infection for my 6 mo. old. Because of the pain in her ear, she stopped swallowing...to the point where we had to take her to the hospital for dehydration. Now she's on antibiotics and ready to start feeding again. However, my milk supply is just about zero. This is really making me distraught as she won't take a bottle or even liquid through a syringe. All she wants is to bf and I feel like I'm not giving her what she wants or needs!!

I've been taking fenugreek tablets, as well as blessed thistle and brewer's yeast for two days now. I'm drinking water non-stop and trying to intake fatty foods (cheese, ice cream, etc.) I've also started eating oatmeal as I've heard that is supposed to help. Still nothing seems to be working and, in fact, my supply seems to be diminishing even more. PLEASE HELP ME!! I'm desperate.

I am getting a wet diaper every 4 hours or so, so she's probably getting a little something, but I'm also forcing Pedialite down her with a syringe (and that is a struggle), so her wet diapers may be due to that. Any advice is needed ASAP. Thanks for your time...

Default Re: MILK SUPPLY GONE -- PLEASE HELP ME!!

do you have a pump? I would start pumping every 3 hours asap.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Call your closest LC, or LLL leader. However imo you need to relax alittle bit annd let your body recover. Continue nursing and giving liquids and know that your LO will be ok. If nursing your adoptive child is possible, then recovering from low supply is as well.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Yes...I've been pumping pretty regularly. Only problem is that when I pump, I get a teaspoon at most.

I've also attempted to contact a LLL and haven't gotten a call back yet. I'm really starting to get discouraged...

Don't give up. Let your little one nurse as much as possible. Your body will respond to the demand. Make sure you are healthy too. You can get through this.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jmwright81 View Post
    Yes...I've been pumping pretty regularly. Only problem is that when I pump, I get a teaspoon at most.
    It doesn't matter. No pump is as efficient as a baby. LO is absolutely correct to want to nurse round the clock to increase your supply and get the love and comfort s/he needs. The real thing to think about is whether the nappy counts are okay:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

Look at 'is baby getting enough milk' for a 0-6wk baby, and the 'older' baby link for 6wks+. Then you'll know if baby is getting enough intake A pump, frequency of nursing, and baby's behaviour are not reliable signs, but input and output are 100% linked.

My supply rebounded in a weekend. Fact is, as you read the Kellymom links on how milk supply works, as long as little one is on the breast very, very frequently your supply will rebound very quickly. Emptier breast=faster production. Unless you are pregnant or on hormonal birth control, your supply can respond very quickly. Your body and your baby are made to do this
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

you can use an sns while your supply gets back up.
    http://www.amazon.com/Medela-00901S-...0407492&sr=8-1

This will enable you to bf while she's getting milk that you could pump. The way it works is you bf first and then if she wants more you place one of those little tubes on the side of your nipple and let her drink. What this does it lets your boob know that more milk needs to be produced but she's getting some while your breast catches up. You'll know when your supply increases bc she'll be taking less from the sns. I've done it for 5 months now but for different reasons. It is a little expensive and it will get you some getting used to but it is a potential solution for you. I hope fenugreek and blessed thistle work for you bc for me they didnt. What did somewhat work was stout beer. The alcohol doesnt reach your milk bc of the way your body processess it though for me it works for one feeding so i have to drink my beer in halves so i can have two good feedings. Good luck mama!
    Last edited by @llli*xrebelkittenx; March 17th, 2011 at 06:26 PM.