Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green Stools

Default Green Stools

Wondering if anyone was familiar with green stools. I'm also wondering if he really needs the zantac for acid reflux or if he has hyperlactation syndrome?? I think I have a hard let-down, mainly on my right side. Frequently, he struggles/wrestles on my right side and when he pulls off, my milk is spraying from 3 to 5 different places on my nipple. My left breast will occasionally but rarely spray. He doesn't wrestle/struggle on the left. I've been weaning him off the zantac, which he's really doing himself anyway as he gains weight. He's only on .5 mL twice a day (even less than the minimum dose given which is .6 mL) and I've cut out all gassy fruits/veggies, milk protein, milk, and nuts. I've stopped eating those foods since he started the zantac at 2 1/2 wks old. So, I don't think the green stools are related to what I'm eating or gassy foods seeing that I don't eat any of those. And since birth I've been feeding one breast at each feeding since I believe I have a really hard let-down on my right breast. I did that hoping that he's getting the hindmilk, but I'm still wondering if that's the problem-too much foremilk?? The green stools are infrequent and once in a great while they are green/mucousy, maybe one green for every 3-4 yellow/seedy stools (which range from small to large). The green stools are still seedy as well. I also read that some babies that get too much foremilk have a fast weight gain which starts to decrease or taper off over time??? At birth (1/13)he was 9 lbs 7 oz, left hospital at 9 lbs 2 oz, and on 2/19 he weighed 12 lbs 12 oz.....Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated! ) Thank you!!

Default Re: Green Stools

I don't know anything about the Zantac, but I had an overactive letdown in the beginning when I had a huge oversupply - it would spray like crazy! Anyway, you're right that green stools can be because of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I don't know about the weight gain - my little guy is still gaining very steadily at 4.5 months old (8.8 at birth, 15.9 at 4 months) and my supply has regulated. But - back to the green stools. I had this issue quite frequently with him...along with my oversupply. One thing that helped both issues was to block feed - I had to play around with exactly what worked for us, but instead of offering one breast per feeding, I offered the same breast for several feedings in a row - so I would nurse just the right side for 3 or 4 sessions (or about 4-5 hours) in a row. This allowed him to get more hindmilk and it also signaled the other breast that it was making too much (by being engorged your body realizes it doesn't need that much). Then I would switch to the left side for the next 3 or 4 feedings. Obviously, the other side would get very engorged, and sometimes I would pump just a teeny little bit for relief, but kept it full.

If you don't want to adjust your supply, you can always pump from the other breast during the time you are nursing just the other side.

About 3/4 of the way down there is some information on block feeding http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Good luck!
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Oh - and I don't have to block feed anymore. My supply regulated somewhere around 13 weeks....I actually only had to block feed for about a week or so.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Hi! I have a 2-month old son who is occasionally passing stools in various shades of green. (one night, I thought I was seeing neon green) Anyway, I'm having the same problem as yours but we're not giving him Zantac. What's wrong with passing green stools? He seems to be gaining weight and filling diapers as usual.

Green mucousy stools can indicate that the baby isnt getting the richer hindmilk and filling up on foremilk.

I was concerned about my baby's poop in the first week, because some were green. He feeds on one side now, and they're only occasional, so I really don't worry about it, especially since theyre still a seedy consistency. This article gave me peace of mind: http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html

thanks for the site

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ginakina View Post
    Green mucousy stools can indicate that the baby isnt getting the richer hindmilk and filling up on foremilk.

I was concerned about my baby's poop in the first week, because some were green. He feeds on one side now, and they're only occasional, so I really don't worry about it, especially since theyre still a seedy consistency. This article gave me peace of mind: http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html