Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something is VERY wrong here

Default Something is VERY wrong here

I've been having EXCRUCIATING burning/stinging pain after I get done feeding LO for weeks now! I was prescribed diflucan by my old ob right after we moved.

I went to see my new ob, and I TOLD him that I've been on diflucan for OVER 2 weeks and the pain has not subsided (under the impression that it's thrush), he really didn't seem concerned and prescribed me MORE diflucan! Something has got to give, i've been on diflucan for almost 3 weeks and the pain has not been improving. One nurse told me it was my latch, but my latch has since been corrected, also LO has nystatin (the bottle says 4x a day but we've only been giving it to him once a day). This new ob didn't even really listen to me when I asked if there was anything else, he just told me that if this prescription of diflucan doesn't work to go see a lac. consultant somewhere.... really!??! I also asked him about APNO and he said "yeah you can use that" ... um, i was asking for a prescription, but then he changed the subj. and by that point i just really had enough.

What can I do about this thrush?!? It's been over 2 weeks with no help from diflucan... and it burns and stings so bad after feeding that i lose sleep over it. LO is 6 weeks old and I've been bf him since birth but i'm in so much pain and misery and no one seems to want to help me!

Default Re: Something is VERY wrong here

I'd find that lactation consultant Momma. You need someone who knows breast feeding and the complications.

Here are some great thrush articles: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

Hopefully they'll help.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

What does your nipple look like after feeding him? Is it white? When you feel the burning is it when your nipple is returning to the normal pinkish color?
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

I know some yeast is resistant to fluconazole. Can your dr prescribe something else?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

is your nipple cracked and bleeding? that can take a while to heal!

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Have you thought about rynaulds syndrome? That can cause thrush like pain. Sorry I don't have a link
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3boysmomma View Post
    What does your nipple look like after feeding him? Is it white? When you feel the burning is it when your nipple is returning to the normal pinkish color?
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    Have you thought about rynaulds syndrome? That can cause thrush like pain. Sorry I don't have a link

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I too am battling thrush, so I feel your pain mama! The best thing to do is to find an LC who supports you and trusts your instincts about your own body. Also, from all that I have read on this site, thrush can be really hard to treat and you may need to be doing some other things. Dr. Jack Newman's Candida protocol and kellymom have great info about treating yeast, the links are on several posts I just don't know how to add the links myself, sorry! I personally recommend taking a good probiotic, STOP all sugar and processed foods, topical treatment, i.e. lotrimin, gentian violet, GSE, APNO to name some that I have heard about. I think the diflucan can be helpful but sounds like it doesn't work for everyone. I have been on it for 3 days and so far I have had to change in symptoms. As you will read on other posts, yeast is a little bugger of an organism and takes diligence to get rid of. I wish you the best of luck and will keep you posted if I find the miracle cure!!
    I'm Chris
    Proud mama to my littleElijah Thomas born on November 14, 2009 and my sweet Archer William born on February 17, 2011
    my 21 month old son
    with my hubby Tom

I wanted to add that if you truly think it is thrush you can pick up some gentian violet at Walgreens or another pharmacy. That usually kicks thrush.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

thanks everyone!! turns out it IS raynaulds syndrome.. boo!!!!

rice socks have been helping, but still wondering if it goes away on it's own eventually or would i have to treat it?