Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about Pumping

Default Question about Pumping

Due to DD only transfering a little over an oz, our Pedi & LC have been having me pump after each nursing session and feeding DD. I get a little over an oz each time I pump, sometimes more, sometimes less. Lately, DD has been refusing the bottle of BM. She is gaining weight and looks chunky. We have not been back to the LC due to them telling me they did not know what else to do for us and they had no idea why she was transfering so little (we have been to the LC office each week since DD was born 7 weeks ago).

I offer both breasts and sometimes she takes both, sometimes not.

Does me pumping a little over an oz after each feeding mean she is still not transfering enough? They told me she needed to transfer about 2.5oz at this point. We have not been back to the LC lately. I know DD has latch issues (shallow latch, upper lip tie, high palate) and we are working on these issues (doing CST and waiting to be seen by the ENT).

How do I know when I can stop pumping and supplementing?
    When I do stop pumping after each session (I HOPE SOON!) will this affect my supply?

Default Re: Question about Pumping

I'm wondering why there is concern if she is gaining appropriately and has adequate amounts of wet/soiled diapers? Also how do they know how much she transfers? Are they weighing her before and after the feeds? I would think if weight gain was good and the baby had plenty of soiled and wet diapers there wouldn't be an issue.
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

Have they had you get a very sensitive baby scale and weigh your baby before and after feedings? If not, you can rent one and check yourself at home to see what she is transferring. Babies often become more efficient over time, so, it's entirely possible that your LO is nursing adequately and you aren't pumping a lot after a feeding because she's taking it all.

The other thing you could do is stop the supplementing and see how she does. Watch wets and poops and her weight, and if those are OK, stop the pumping.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree with what the others are saying. If she is gaining weight and if she is having enough wet/soiled diapers, then she is getting enough. So she doesn't take "2.5 oz". Maybe she doesn't want or need that much. A number like that is just an average anyway, IMHO. Some babies may take more, some may take less. Some nurse more often than others. Watch the baby, not the ounces. That's what I say.

They had me start supplementing her because she was dropping weight and not gaining. She only started gaining when I starting supplementing her. Even after I nurse her I still get about 1oz (sometimes more, sometimes less) when I pump. The last time we went to the LC she was still only transfering 1oz and they said that was not enough. The LC weighed her before and after her feeding at their office. I looked into renting a scale, but there is no where around here.

Could you ask the LC to look into finding a place where you can rent a scale? She might have connections. That was very helpful for us when my son was learning to breastfeed and we were cutting out his supplements. (It was after visiting a chiropractor that he began to be able to suck better, so perhaps the CST and time are helping your LO.)
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)