Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too Engorged and No Milk Coming Out

Default Re: Too Engorged and No Milk Coming Out

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*minervabtfl View Post
    I haven't really tried the reverse pressure softening, but I'm a little afraid to do it. I'm sure I have at least one plugged duct - could that make things worse? Won't it hurt like heck?
    that's a good question and my answer is that i am just not sure. there are plenty of LCs who discourage RPS because they worry that it could cause a problem just like that by pushing fluid even further back. however, i know mothers who have used it with success and it did not cause a different problem. it really is best done under the guidance of an LC, so i do suggest that you speak with her, especially since you have been/are battling plugged ducts, mastitis.

here is a video demo of RPS (excuse the ad at the beginning)

How would it help, by softening the areola so the pump would work better? Or should I hand express or nurse afterwards instead?
    it works by pushing back some of the fluid so that your areola softens enough for baby to get latched on.

I hope I can get this worked out. I really don't want to give up breastfeeding. I would never forgive myself.
    you will get through this. you have a strong commitment to making this work, and that is evident by the fact that you are still doing it after 7 very rough weeks.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*minervabtfl View Post

I actually wish the milk on that side would just dry up. Will it not dry up with me nursing the other side only? Because it's been weeks since LO has truly nursed from the "affected" side....and it's still full of milk....
    it will after a time if no milk is being removed from that breast by either baby or pump. it may not go "completely dry" though like you might think it would. i actually have a coworker (who sometimes stops by the forums) who did this after mastitis and then subsequent breast refusal by her LO.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

If one side dries up and I nurse her for, say, a year exclusively on one side, will my boobs be different or lopsided once I wean? Seems like the side she nursed on would be more saggy or something.

the size will be noticeably different during your breastfeeding relationship, but after you wean they usually go back to being right about the same size

wouldn't worry too much about sagginess whether you nurse from one breast or both. it's the pregnancy hormonal chances that can cause sagginess, not breastfeeding.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007

I just wanted to update this thread in the event that anyone else ever has a problem like me.

First, I had my post-partum follow-up with my midwife today. She asked how I was when she walked in the room, and I said fine aside from my horrible breast issues. First thing out of her mouth was "Is it time to wean?" I told her I wanted to continue breastfeeding no matter what, and she then tried to convince me that I should switch to formula because there is no difference or benefit in continuing. She was very persistent and didn't help me at all.

Right after that, I attended a breastfeeding support group hosted by my LC at the hospital. I spoke with my LC as well as another one and they were both out of ideas for how to help me. My LC said it shouldn't still be engorged and "to be honest I have no idea why that breast has not dried up yet." My thoughts exactly. So my OBGYN and two midwives are shrugging their shoulders. Once again, I am left to deal with this on my own and left in horrible pain with no answers.

So I called my state's big medical university and asked to speak with their LC. FINALLY, someone CARING and KNOWLEDGEABLE. She took me seriously and listened to me. She was shocked that my OBGYN let it get this bad and didn't do anything to help me. She said that my problem was definitely not normal whatsoever. Being that today is Friday, I couldn't see anyone until Monday. She said she wasn't trying to alarm me, but that it was almost certainly a very serious issue and I should probably go to the emergency room ASAP. She said the fact I have been so SEVERELY engorged with no ability to express milk or relieve the swelling whatsoever for over two weeks was almost a guarantee that I had damaged my tissue, possibly permanently. She said the situation was unusual and very concerning and mentioned that, among other things, I might have a severe abscess. She wants me to get an ultrasound and have other tests done and not wait until Monday. My husband lost his job when our baby was 10 days old, so I haven't decided if I'm going yet or not (because an ER visit would be so costly).

But at least now I have someone who listens to me and doesn't brush me off and tells me to suck it up and deal with it. I can't wait until the day I don't stay up at night because of the pain and live on Lortab and can't even pick up and hold my baby most of the time because of my breast issue. I want my life back. I will update again once I either go to the ER or see someone Monday.

GO tomorrow like the LC suggested, mama. i understand the worry over the cost, but if there is something serious going on it could escalate and get way worse. you can talk to someone at the hospital about setting up a payment plan- they are usually pretty good about things like that.

KUP.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007

I went Friday night and the ER doctor was a total jerk. Couldn't have been more apparent that, as a doctor specializing in emergency medicine, he had never seen anything like this in his life. I was sobbing from the pain, pain as bad a labor, and he told me to put cabbage leaves on it and grudgingly ordered an ultrasound for the following morning. I tried to explain that I had been extremely engorged before when my milk first came in, and this was NOT the same thing by any stretch. This was so bad I'd rather be sedated than conscious to deal with the pain once my pain meds wore off (which they were in the process of wearing off at the time).

I got the ultrasound and the radiologist seemed concerned and asked me if I'd had an MRI. They basically are still unsure of what's going on, but they've started me off on a very strong regimen of antibiotics and gave me something stronger for the pain. In the last three days, the pain has increased in severity so much that the strong narcotic pain meds (high-dose Lortab and Percocet) are not able to eliminate the pain anymore (and I am a very small woman). My life is misery right now. All I want to do is sleep so that I do not hurt.

My breast is so disfigured from this that it has become obvious that I will need reconstructive breast surgery if and when this is all over with. I am only 22. I wish someone knew what was wrong with me and that this nightmare would be over soon, but I am not holding my breath.

I am so sorry that you are hurting that much. I hope that they figure out what is wrong and you recover fast. I can't imagine having that sort of pain in my breast

What a horrific ordeal. I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of this. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you get your pain under control and they figure out what's going on as soon as possible.

I went and saw a doctor Monday at our state's medical university. He took one look and called the hospital across the street to put me in surgery immediately. Apparently, I had a massive, massive abscess. Once we got to the hospital, the breast surgeon said she didn't even need to see my ultrasound images to know how bad it was.

I got the surgery and while I was still under anesthesia, the surgeon went out to talk to my husband. He asked how much fluid she removed, expecting an amount in CCs, and she replied that she removed enough green infected fluid to be measured "in cups." She had said before the surgery that even as a breast surgeon, it was one of the more severe cases she'd seen.

If any of you had seen one of my first threads in which I talked about how my OB's office completely blew me off when I first came in with what I told them was "mastitis and possibly an abscess," and in which the midwife caused me excruciating pain as she forcefully attempted to "express milk because I was so engorged" (from the abscess!) to my absolute horror, you can imagine how sick to my stomach I feel right now knowing THIS COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED. I have a big hole in my breast right now that has to be packed with gauze daily for weeks and this is not a simple case of a breast abscess where I can continue to BF on that side...I will have to feed on one side only for the rest of our BF relationship. I will always have a scar on my breast. I'm pretty positive based on the incision site and what the surgeon has said that some milk ducts have been severed also. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest based on how bad this was if I was never able to BF on that side again with future babies. It's like the trauma from this will never end. Sorry to be a downer, it's just I'm so ready to feel healthy and be there for my little girl again.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and support. At least I finally found someone who knew what they were doing and cared enough to make time for me and I got the care I needed after all this time.
    Last edited by @llli*minervabtfl; March 25th, 2011 at 02:49 PM.