Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting EBM?

Default Starting EBM?

My son is almost 7 weeks old. He has been EBF since he was born. I've posted here before, we've had some ups and downs, and lately, I've been going a little crazy.

I think maybe he is going through a growth spurt, because he was sleeping like crazy. He is still sleeping a lot, but he also hasn't been wanting to eat, which is out of the norm, and doesn't seem like it would go along with a growth spurt?

Anyway, I was planning on starting to give him one bottle of EBM a week, just so that he would get used to having the occasional bottle, and so I could get out of the house by myself once a week.

But lately when he's been eating, it is fitful. He makes all his normal cues, sticking out his tongue, mouthing his fists, etc. But he will pull my nipple into his mouth, and spit it out. Maybe suck a few times. And he does this over and over and over. Then he'll pull off completely, purse his lips and look away, his "mommy, I'm done" look. I can't imagine that he is getting enough to eat. I know I have an overactive letdown, and he usually handles it well, but he's stopped waking up as often as night, so I feel like my breasts are more full than normal, and so maybe now he is adjusting to that? But that along with just generally not eating, and I'm kind of at my wits' end. I can't help but feel like I'm doing something wrong. Why doesn't he want to eat?

He did have a poop this morning. It seemed like he was having wet diapers yesterday, but I'll keep better track of them today. I just don't know what to do. Everyone said it'd get so much better at 6 weeks, and this is one of the worst weeks we've had since the very beginning.

Default Re: Starting EBM?

I just realized how scattered this was and how much I deviated from the topic. My question about the EBM is, would this be a bad time to start, since for some reason he doesn't seem to be nursing well?

Their cues get confusing. I remember there was a point that when my first daughter was doing those things it didn't mean she wanted to nurse. With my second daughter, who is 9 weeks old, sticks her tongue out, it doesn't mean she wants to nurse. I'm not even sure she's developed any cues because I just try to latch her on every time she wakes up. Or if she's fussy. If she wants to nurse, she does, if not she acts like your son is acting.

Count diapers today and see how it's going. Are you having a bad week emotionally? Or is he just really fussy? You can't offer too often to nurse, but he might not want to nurse every time you offer and that's ok.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I don't think it's a bad time to start. He may or may not want the bottle. Try not to get too frustrated if he doesn't want it.
    Tracie

Mommy to

If you have over active letdown, have you tried different nursing positions? Sometimes that can help your LO handle the fast flow. Also, if you're very full, you might want to hand express a bit into a towel so the flow is less forceful.

I've had experience with this and eventually had to block feed because my LO wasn't getting enough hind milk. He was getting lots of bubbles in his tummy from all the fast swallowing, and became quite gassy and upset.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Are you having a bad week emotionally? Or is he just really fussy? You can't offer too often to nurse, but he might not want to nurse every time you offer and that's ok.
    I wasn't having a bad week emotionally until today. I kept waiting for things to just work themselves out, and so far they just haven't, and that gets me super emotional. He isn't fussy unless he is eating. He's been happy and alert, even calm, when he is awake.

He really really really prefers to nurse lying down, so we've mostly been doing that. In the past we've kind of nursed "uphill", and that worked better than this seems to be, but he seems uncomfortable lately when I hold him while nursing.

Another question, although I don't know if anyone will get down here. This week was the first week that I pumped at all. I only have a manual pump, I only plan on pumping occasionally, and I got maybe 3 oz total both times I did it. And I feel like this oversupply and overactive letdown are happening now because of stopping that (plus him not eating as often). If so, how in the world am I supposed to "pump occasionally"? I feel like my only option now is every day, or never, or deal with THIS. And I'd rather not deal with this anymore. Or am I wrong, would pumping that little not make a difference, and its just a coincidence?

I really don't think the pumping and the fussiness are connected. 3 ounces is a lot to get out at one time for someone who is nursing exclusively (as in, not away from the baby) and especially with a hand pump.

Do you think he could have reflux? That could cause some of what you are talking about.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I really don't think the pumping and the fussiness are connected. 3 ounces is a lot to get out at one time for someone who is nursing exclusively (as in, not away from the baby) and especially with a hand pump.

Do you think he could have reflux? That could cause some of what you are talking about.
    I thought it seemed like a lot. When I stopped pumping (I did it for three days and got tired of it since we are barely apart), my breasts definitely felt very full and I was leaking all over again. Beh.

You know, I've wondered that a few times, about the reflux, and then he'll go back to nursing fairly "normally". Then everything will be great, and then he'll go back to doing this...which also involves a lot of spitting up, he just spit up more than I've ever seen, and he was extremely unhappy beforehand.

Oh, good news though is that he ate much more today, and my letdown isn't spraying as much. He is still pretty fussy at the breast though. I feel so terrible when he does it, but I can deal as long as he's eating..

Thanks for replying, by the way

3 oz with a manual pump????? Thats amazing lady! If you had a hosp grade pump you'd prob get a ton more out!!!

So glad that he is doing better today! Hang in there you are doing great!!! THIS TOO SHALL PASS...my chant that has gotten me thru lot sof hard times!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK