Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best birth control?

Default The best birth control?

I know that while BF you can not take a BC that has estrogen in it. So I go toy 6 week appointment today and was going to get the 3 year implant. I get there and read the info and side effects and decided it just didn't appeal to me. So I opted for the mini pill. Does anyone have the 5 year that can give me some info on it and anyone that got the mini pill and how it's working? I just dont want to bleed for months or gain a bunch of weight. With the shot I bled the whole 3 months so that was NOT an option!

Default Re: The best birth control?

mini pill is known to tank supply. ive got mirena iud and my supply is just as strong.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

I got the mini pill and even though I have low supply until my baby stopped latching and only got a pump today, my supply stayed the same. Must depend on the woman. I was told get the pill and see how you react. Supply lowers? Than just stop taking it. was gonna get the IUD but decided against it until I see how that hormone worked on me.

I don't have personal experience with implantable contraception, but it's worth noting that ANY hormonal birth control- the pill, mini pill, Mirena IUD, patch, ring, shot, implantable- can negatively impact supply. It doesn't work that way for all mamas, but there seem to be enough reports out there that I think they need to redo the product inserts!!! Therefore, when choosing hormonal contraception I think it makes sense to choose an option that is immediately reversible (i.e. the mini pill). That way if your supply tanks, you can just stop taking the contraceptive, and not have to wait for it to be removed or to wear off.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

yup...
    and don't throw other mythods under the bus. Your baby is so young

We use condoms and are very happy with them if you use them right every time the chance of pg is low.

Have you thought about learning about your cycle and avioding days you know you could make a baby?

Post Re: The best birth control?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    yup...
    and don't throw other mythods under the bus. Your baby is so young

We use condoms and are very happy with them if you use them right every time the chance of pg is low.

Have you thought about learning about your cycle and avioding days you know you could make a baby?
    that ones not always feasable. thats how WE ended up with Luna, cuz i marked when my last KMP and then the next month i was very late and UHOH GOT A + MY PERIODS were neber the dsame each month. sometimes my cycles were 2 weeks, and thats probably ehat happened
    Last edited by @llli*sailoryue; March 26th, 2011 at 07:13 AM.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

I agree that the timing method doesn't always work; that's how I have my LO. not that I would change anything...but still, I won't use that method again unless I'm willing to get pg.

My midwife said the research on bc and supply isn't definitive and personally felt that once my supply was well established the low dose combo pill was fine. I'm on my second month without any decrease in supply. She steered me away from the mini because there is more break through bleeding and you have to take it at exactly the same time each day to be covered.

I know I personally started stressing about supply only after reading all the scary things about supply and bc. When I stopped reading and trusted my body and my baby I was much happier. Just my 2 cents.

Copper IUD is hormone free so it wont affect supply. It lasts 30 months.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

i am on the minipill and it has not affected my supply, that's just how its working for me though. i dont like that its 95% only effective so we sometimes use the best birth control: no sex!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

DH and I are going the condom route...dunno if that's the "best" though. I do have experience with using condoms for BC, ie: how to use them properly...
    Breastfeeding Mommy to Roger - born February 16th, 2011 via emergency C-section.