Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you define extended bf?

Default how do you define extended bf?

In reading this section, I'm suprised by the variations in the ages of children. I'm curious- at what age do you consider breastfeeding "extended?"
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Default Re: how do you define extended bf?

In my mind and experience (other moms I know, my own mom and what I plan on doing with Adeline) I'd say over 2 years old is extended (although I can't imagine stopping then either, by choice anyway - hers or mine). We plan on nursing as long as Adeline wishes to ... and as the standard joke goes, or at least until she gets to college.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I was under the impression that the "official" term for extended was over 1 year because that is the recommended minimum for breastfeeding. I could be totally wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by kst7399 View Post
    I was under the impression that the "official" term for extended was over 1 year because that is the recommended minimum for breastfeeding. I could be totally wrong though.
    I would agree that the general population in the US refer to over a year as being extended breastfeeding. However, the World Health Organization recommends nursing until at least 2 years. Though, sadly, most people don't know this (especially here in the US). And then I had the pleasure of meeting those who were astounded to hear that I was STILL breastfeeding exclusively at 4 months ... OMG, 4 MONTHS!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon View Post
    I would agree that the general population in the US refer to over a year as being extended breastfeeding. However, the World Health Organization recommends nursing until at least 2 years. Though, sadly, most people don't know this (especially here in the US). And then I had the pleasure of meeting those who were astounded to hear that I was STILL breastfeeding exclusively at 4 months ... OMG, 4 MONTHS!
    Very true. I'm lucky to have a doctor that encourages me to breastfeed until 2 years and has been happy to hear that we are waiting on solids. I'm finding more and more what a rarity she is.

I thought extended breastfeeding here was over 12 months/1 year. I went to the doctor Monday and he asked how old my DD was, I told him a year and I could just see the question mark over his head ( ) and he cocked his head like a puppy does and asked when I was going to wean. I said we plan on self-weaning, but she'll be done by the time she's in highschool. He left it alone then.

I'm going w/ a year. If we make it over a year we'll call it extended. We will make it a year but this kid eats more solids every day. Between trying to get his unsuspecting day care provider to have to handle EBM and cloth diapers We'll see how long he wants to go. He's less and less interested in the day.....

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I had thought extended bf meant going past one year as well. It seems like that's the mark for stopping formula and bottles, and many people assume breastfeeding would end along that time as well....

"Extended" bf is when LO and I are all stretched out on the bed, nursing.

OK, stupid pun. But to me at some level, calling it extended seems to imply that we're doing something that's not usual or normal, which may be true from a cultural standpoint . . . but from the biological one I think there is no such thing as extended bf.

Quote Originally Posted by jillanne View Post
    ... at some level, calling it extended seems to imply that we're doing something that's not usual or normal, which may be true from a cultural standpoint . . . but from the biological one I think there is no such thing as extended bf.
    Good answer!