Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is too much?

Default How much is too much?

Hi mama's!

LO just turned 6 months and we have been experimenting with solids for about 4 days. I wanted to try baby-led solids, so I purchased one of those mesh feeder things with the handle (can't remember what they're called but it allows her to feed herself without the potential of choking). We started with banana, which she loves....and just tonight we tried avocado (again, big fan of the avacado).

In fact, she's such a big fan that I'm now worried that I'm giving her too much. I want BM to remain her primary source of nutrition for now, and the whole reason that BLS appealed to me is that it allows her to dictate how much she takes in. Problem is that she is eating a lot more than I expected. She ate almost half a banana and almost half an avacado. Is that a lot? I finally had to take the avacado away. She still nursed 6 times today, and will nurse more tonight.

Of course, she also makes a god-awful mess while eating, so there's always the possibility that she's not actually eating as much as I think (it seems like she's smearing a lot all over her face rather than eating). Sorry, I know this is long but it's all so new to me and I guess I'm just looking for some advice. Thanks in advance!
    Married my best friend 07/19/2008
    Proud mama to Harper Anne born 09/10/2010
    and every moment of motherhood

Default Re: How much is too much?

I've never used those mesh things but to me it looks like the baby could just suck the food out of it. I know they are "self-feeding" but to me it doesn't really seem like they get to truley regulate how much they are eating. If that made any sense... Avacados are really soft. What would happen if you just cut some into piece and put them on the tray? Helps them better develop there pincer grasp too.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

I'd skip the mesh feeder and just put banana or avocado in front of baby.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My DD liked the mesh feeder for some things. Just nurse your LO before solids, and you should be just fine.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

with previous posts. As long as you're offering breastmilk before solids everything should be fine. I'd say enjoy this time because in a few months, when she is a toddler she is more than likely going to go through a picky phase!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

definately am nursing before solids. I wait about an hour after the first nurse in the morning to offer a "breakfast" of sorts and then another hour after her late afternoon nursing to offer her "dinner". Then nurse on demand throughout the day and night.

as far as using the mesh feeders, i have to respectfully disagree with the opinion that she is not self-regulating her intake (just my personal experience), but i think i will give the avacado a try without the feeder today....just to see what happens. I'm slightly terrified of the idea of her choking , so I probably will continue to use it for most things (at least to start) but avacados seem pretty safe. thanks for the responses!

If you are concerned with choking, even if you aren't, take a class in infant/child CPR. Its a little different than adult CPR and IMHO something every parent should take.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

You know, Im not sure that self-regulating was really the right word...but Im having a heck of a time articulating how I feel about it. But here is somthing...do you eat with a mesh feeder? Im not so sure that it is teaching her how to eat. It teaches how to use a mesh feeder and then you have to teach how to eat food on its own. Its a extra unnessary step. KWIM? Don't forget that food is mostly for fun and experimenting before 1. So its not really that important if food actually gets into baby. Also, I think the suggestion of taking a CPR or first-aid course is a fantastic one!
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*littleiandjmomma View Post
    You know, Im not sure that self-regulating was really the right word...but Im having a heck of a time articulating how I feel about it. But here is somthing...do you eat with a mesh feeder? Im not so sure that it is teaching her how to eat. It teaches how to use a mesh feeder and then you have to teach how to eat food on its own. Its a extra unnessary step. KWIM? Don't forget that food is mostly for fun and experimenting before 1. So its not really that important if food actually gets into baby. Also, I think the suggestion of taking a CPR or first-aid course is a fantastic one!
    I think i see what you're getting at and I tend to agree, which is why we'll see how avacado sans the mesh feeder goes. I'm curious to see how much she actually takes in when she is picking it up with her fingers, and not sucking it out of the mesh.

DH and I are registered for a infant CPR class next month. I was hoping to get into a class before we started solids, but there was quite a waiting list to get into the course (must be a lot of new babies in my area). I think i will be much more comfortable with BLS once I have that under my belt.

You'll find that people have some strong opinions about using mesh feeders.

I personally only used them when I had frozen breastmilk for my babies to suck on for relief when they were teething.

We did "baby led solids" and just offered our LO appropriate foods to explore and maybe eat. Part of the learning process is baby figuring out how to pick up the food and get in his mouth. Mess is part of the process and okay.

My only point is that you don't NEED mesh feeders. If a baby is "sucking" on foods in a mesh feeder that doesn't really reach chewing foods.

As with many parenting things - do what works best for you.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)