Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it safe to take Acai berries while breastfeeding?

Default Is it safe to take Acai berries while breastfeeding?

I have decided that I need to make a conscience effort to lose 30 pounds. While I know this will take some time (as well as making a few life/eating changes along the way) I am considering taking Acai berries to aid in my weight loss. My concern is that I'm still breastfeeding my son (who is 10 months old). Everything that I've read online says that it's completely safe to take while you're breastfeeding but has anyone done this? Do you have any ideas/comments for me?

Also, everything that I've read about Acai berries says that you should also do a colon cleanse too? Is that safe while breastfeeding? I've read various opinions on this one.

Any help/ideas/suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
    First-time mommy to Danielle 8/16/07
    Wife to Mike 9/29/01

Default Re: Is it safe to take Acai berries while breastfeeding?

I am not sure of the Acai berries, but I can definately tell you NOT to do a colon cleanse while breastfeeding. The majority of colon cleansing products are nothing more than laxatives, the medications in those laxatives will more than likely pass through breastmilk. You will lose weight, but it will most likely be due to losing water weight, which dehydrates you. It is not good for you and DEFINATELY not good for your LO. Diet modification and exercise are two best ways to lose extra weight. Good Luck Momma!

I have not researched it, but if it is simply a berry, then I am guessing it is perfectly safe to take while breastfeeding. I believe a safe amount of weight to lose while breastfeeding is 1-2 pounds a week, so maybe if you find you are losing quicker than that, you could up your calorie intake a bit.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thanks for your help and input! I just love breastfeeding my little guy and don't want anything to jeopardize our experience together! (I'm sure ya'll know what I'm talking about!)
    First-time mommy to Danielle 8/16/07
    Wife to Mike 9/29/01