Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing for comfort?

Default Nursing for comfort?

Hello,

My baby girl is two weeks old and she's been nursing exclusively since birth. We've developed a good schedule and she will nurse for up to 15 minutes at a time. Sometimes she gets fussy and acts hungry when its not time to eat and when I nurse her she will nurse for less than 5 minutes. If I don't nurse her, she cries. I think she's doing it for comfort and I'm afraid if I keep letting her do it, she will only be comforted by my breast. I don't want this to turn into a problem when I return to work and I won't be around to comfort her. I've tried several different types of pacifiers but she spits them out.

Should I keep to our nursing schedule and let her cry? Or is it normal for newborns to "snack" between meals?

I would really appreciate any advice.

Default Re: Nursing for comfort?

Congratulations on your new little baby! How are you determining that it is "time to eat"? Babies eat really often. Sometimes they are ravenous and want to nurse a long time, and sometimes they are just thirsty and need a sip. I understand your concern about returning to work. It would be awesome if your baby were accustomed to drinking from a bottle and/or taking a pacifier by the time you need to return to work, but I am not sure that that is exactly the same thing as meeting or not her requests for food/drink. I think those are two different issues, that can be addressed separately. In general, I think it is appropriate to meet a baby's request. It teaches them that they matter, that they have the power to know what they need and to ask for it in a way that is heard. How much longer do you have at home with her?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Default Re: Nursing for comfort?

I'm seeing alot of posts like this one.

Schedualling a newborn/infant's feeding is not natural.

Ignoring a baby's cries is not natural.

Sticking your child in another room to cry themselves to sleep is not natural.

People that tell you otherwise are stuck on old-fashioned (like think whale bone corsets) ideas. Did you know that early settlers/explorers in Northern North America would freeze to death because it was considered "savage" not to wear wool?

I hope in years our ancesters will be laughing at the idea of people paying money to feed their babies substandard foods and sticking their children in other rooms only to be up all night because its "inappropriate" to do otherwise.

Please trust your instincts, and not what others tell you. Your body and your heart will tell you what is right.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Post Re: Nursing for comfort?

Hi Momma,

Congratulations on your new baby!

It sounds like you've been working hard, but could use some additional info. You may have heard the phrase 'supply and demand' about BM production. Basically, the more baby demands (nurses) the more you produce. They will instinctively nurse with the frequency required to get your body producing the milk they require. So you'll find that that baby nurses more than usual when they are entering a growth spurt. Newborns also have tiny tummies (the size of their fist) so they will snack and sup between 'meals'.

At two weeks you will still be establishing your milk supply so the best thing you can do is listen to your babies instincts and let her nurse, nurse, nurse! I'm sorry but a big killer for milk supply (leading to supplementing and eventually the end of BF) is trying to 'schedule' when baby can nurse.

I remember during those early weeks it felt like my LO was nursing all the time, especially during growth spurts. But before long my ravenous newborn had built up my supply and become a much more efficient eater (extracting more milk in a shorter space of time).

And if you're returning to work soon you may want to think about getting hold of a good pump and how you want your LO to receive milk (bottles aren't the only option). If you ask about on the forums then you will find plenty of experienced momma advice.

Good luck and enjoy life with your wonderful little person

p.s At two weeks old sucking is pretty much babies only option for getting comfort and reassurance. As they get older they develop new ways of understanding and interacting with the world to self sooth. (It is a widely held belief that by giving them the reassurance that they need now, you will only create a more relaxed and confident child.) They will adapt and day care providers are adept at distracting babies who miss their mommas, it's what they do!
    Last edited by @llli*midna; March 15th, 2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Forgot about the comfort sucking!
    Mum to Alexander, born 2nd April 2010

Still at a year and when apart
    Part time cloth and

Midna is our cat - it made sense at two in the morning whilst hunting for help!