Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Saw The dental Hygenist today...

Unhappy Saw The dental Hygenist today...

So Peyton has a lil white outline on her top L. front tooth and when we saw the Dental Hygenist today she said it was De-calcifiaction due to BF and especially cause She still hasn't night weaned and is nursing often at night. The Hygenist recommended that I stop BF when I said I plan on having Peyton Self wean she said I at least Had to Night wean and asked If I was Co-sleeping. WHen I said yes she just looked at me and said I shouldn't do that and "documented it" in her chart. The whole visit made me feel really awkward and like I failed Peyton cause this is the start of a Cavity. SHe also gave me **** cause I said we don't use flouirde toothpaste and don't plan on it. NOt a good visit and now I don't know how to fix the de-calcification. Any one else out there been through this? any recommendations?
    The hygenist also tried to tell me she wanted to put flouride on her teeth to help her body replenish the teh lost flouride as far as i know flouride is not naturally found in your body.

SHe doesn't usually get any sugary or processed foods, if she does get a lil juice it's maybe an ounze at a time and it is in a cup. We brush her teeth in the morning and at night she even lets me "floss" her teeth( mostly cause she see's me doing it). We use a non- flouride toothpaste. SHe does still nurse a lot at night and I don't offer her the boob and unless she asks for it. We've tried NIght weaning and honestly she is incredibly stubborn and just cries and cries and cries even if Im cuddling her she just wants boob.

I'm just lost... I really don't want her to have dental issues and I don't want to use Flouride... there has to be other things I can do that will help.
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Default Re: Saw The dental Hygenist today...

Decalcification is not the start of a cavity, us it? I have a spot like that on a tooth and I was FF. It's been there since shortly after the tooth came in when I was five . Also I think newer studies are saying flouride isn't necessarily good for teeth after all. at the hygenist, to you.

apparently it is according to her, but when I look online it says it can "possibly" be the start of a cavity, but if it's isolated to one tooth( which it is) it may be nothing or it may be due to genetics or lack of vitamins( i have bad teeth, no matter how well i keep my diet and clean them)
    I'm gonna get one of those child spin brushes and see if that helps and maybe a multivitamin or something.... i dunno.. This has definitely bummed me out today and gots me playing the what if game if she gets cavities in the future and i caould do something now to prevent it
    Last edited by @llli*manddbp; March 15th, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!

Here's nothing wrong with cosleeping either. Hell personally I would think it REDUCES SIDS rather than risks because the babys right there and you can tell right away if somethings wrong. She didnt have to make you feel like your doing wrong
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

SpinBrushes ROCK for little kids!!! Our dentist rec's them to all children.

1. it is more fun for them to brush
    2. you get more brushing done while fighting a toddler to brush

I wouldn't worry too much! Unless it actually becomes a cavity I would just watch it and brush that area a little more to be sure.

Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

DS1 has decalsification on his front teeth and he was weaned before he had teeth. His hygenist assumed I gave him bottles in bed and thats what it was from. I never did that. So it doesn't really matter if you are breastfeeding or not, dentists/hygenists always seem to find somthing that the parent did (or didn't do) to blame it on. We were told to give floride suppliments but we have declined that. I don't feel its good to ingest floride. We do however use a very small amount of floride toothpaste which we didn't use until after the decalsication was noted. His teeth have not got worse. They also haven't gotten better.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Levi has some white marks on his front teeth and the dentist thought maybe it was from night nursing. She has a toddler a bit older and it sounds like maybe she was cosleeping/nightnursing her child too. I have to start weaning/nightweaning DS2 for other reasons, but the dentist didn't pressure me. She asked me how much he was nursing at night and I said about twice (which I'm not 100% sure of) and she didn't seem to think it was a big deal. We have just made a point to brush better near his gum line where the marks are.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Thats really good to know... I just felt really defeated the other day about it all, feeling much better today after hearing from other people who are going through the same sort of thing and reading up on it.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html Also check the Sleep forum, there's info there too in the sticky.

Hey mama, it's not the hygenist's business your private sleeping arrangements. I doubt you asked about hers. You know what, you're a customer. You can go elsewhere. You can also call and have a word with someone about her, that her personal questions and her demeanor made you uncomfortable. It sounds like bullying to me. Kudos to you for not bowing down, and being the mother you want to be.

ETA: also ask what kind of background she has that qualifies her as a breastfeeding expert, qualified to give advice on the subject. I'm intrigued. I'll be honest with you, I hear all sorts of rubbish from HCP across the fields, so much that I stopped answering questions and just tell them I'm not interested in answering. Even a pedi (mine, BTW, is a co-sleeping proponent but thought solids were OK at 4 mos, dismissed the WHO guidelines to wait till 6) is an expert on helping sick children, but not on wellness.

If you know this is you to have reactions like this from appts, remember you don't have to answer, you don't have to answer truthfully, and you can decide whether their question is valid or not. If it gives you pause, you can always ask them why it's relevant--defend the validity of their question. Even if they think it's a valid question and, in their opinion, defend it's relevance, you can say you're not convinced and decline to answer, or to answer another time if you change your mind and decide it's relevant, etc. 'Hmm, that's interesting, I'll think about it and if I agree I'll let you know another time. Anything else?'
    Last edited by @llli*bxlgirl; March 18th, 2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: another thing
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html
    If you know this is you to have reactions like this from appts, remember you don't have to answer, you don't have to answer truthfully, and you can decide whether their question is valid or not. If it gives you pause, you can always ask them why it's relevant--defend the validity of their question. Even if they think it's a valid question and, in their opinion, defend it's relevance, you can say you're not convinced and decline to answer, or to answer another time if you change your mind and decide it's relevant, etc. 'Hmm, that's interesting, I'll think about it and if I agree I'll let you know another time. Anything else?'
    I don't even bother answering with the PED anymore He thinks I should have weaned at 6 months... but I didn't even think of not answering the hygenist, that sneaky lady completely caught me off guard ... but I'll be prepared next time! Thanks for the link!