Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dwindling supply at 18 months

Default Dwindling supply at 18 months

Hello friends, This is my first post to the LLL forums and I hope someone can help/advise.

I know this is mostly about comfort and that DD's health will not be impacted either way. She is 18 months old now and my supply is really dwindling. One thing is that she's just getting over a cold. My supply drops a bit whenever she has a cold. I'm also premenstrual, which sometimes also reduces my supply.

She still likes to nurse, especially when she first wakes up and right before bed, but my left breast in particular is not producing a lot (it always produced less than the right). I feel like DD would like it if the breasts were producing more (she often signs "more" during or right after nursing).

I pumped at work until she was 14 months old, and then stopped pumping, figuring that my breasts could probably keep up with her needs outside of work. However, now I feel like they're not doing their job! I was really hoping to nurse until she was at least 2, and really until she wanted to stop. Because she signs for "more" I feel like she still wants to. So now I'm wondering if I should start pumping at work again to try to build up my supply.

I know that most of this is psychological and that if I asked any of my friends about it they would look at me like I have 3 heads. So much is going on here. My mom died at the end of 2010; I feel very melancholy about the fact that this is probably, in all likelihood, the last baby I'll nurse (she has 2 older sibs and I'm in my mid-40s); and I'm premenstrual. I just do not feel ready to end this nursing relationship, but I feel like my boobs are ending it for me. (Crying as I write this!) Oh gosh, well not to carry on...it seems like such a small problem in the grand scheme of things, and yet it's really big to me.

So, should I start pumping again? Would that even help? Or is it too late? Is it ridiculous to think about starting pumping again at this point? Any help/advice you can offer would be appreciated. Thank you.

Midge, mom to 7-year-old b/g twins and 18-month-old DD

Default Re: Dwindling supply at 18 months

wouldn't hurt to pump at work again the more milk you remove the more your going to make.

Has your period returned regularly?

When she signs "more" will she suckle some more? Because nursing more is the EASY way to increase supply (pumping works, but not so easy). My supply is always lower when I am PMSing, and I notice that my almost-two-year old wants to nurse WAY MORE around that time, but I am GRUMPY.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I have a Mirena IUD, and because of that I don't actually bleed when I get my period. So I'm not sure if my period is regular or not!

After she signs more she will try to suckle again, but will then stop and shake her head. I also thought to invite her to nurse more, but so far it's been a no go.

Just realized--can't believe I didn't think of this--that when I had the cold a few days ago I took sudafed. Ay yi yi. Probably made a bad situation worse.

--Midge

if it was the meds a day or two of normal nursing and your supply should bounce back.. hang in there!