Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sorry...another question about vomiting

Default Sorry...another question about vomiting

S is now projectile vomiting once a day. Generally in the afternoon or evening. Usually 30 min after a feed or a series of several feeds. It's enough to cover both of us (I'm running out of clean clothes) and a 1X1 area on the floor.

She's not crying a lot (doesn't really cry much at all), not arching her back, not fussing if we lie her down. She does fuss a little before she vomits, though. Afterwards, she nurses again and generally falls asleep peacefully.

I haven't noticed any hives but she does have a bit of baby acne on both sides of her face, chin and a small portion of her neck...maybe an allergic reaction? Dairy intolerance or allergy?

I have major OS/OALD which is the culprit, I suspect. I'm block feeding (2-3 hr periods), holding her upright, burping often, etc..., etc...But even so, when she's already been on a side for 2 hours and decides to feed again (on that side - so at the end of the 'block'), my milk will still be squirting out and she will still be gulping and choking. She does pull off to breathe.

So much comes up that I worry she's not getting enough now. She does have plenty of wet dipes but she's pooping only about once a day now and the consistency is more like peanut butter.

Does this sound like OS/OALD and/or reflux and/or dairy issues?
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: Sorry...another question about vomiting

I would guess it's your OALD/OS, and not an allergy. She sounds like a "happy spitter" - if she's pretty happy, her output is good, she's gaining weight, etc., then I'd go with the theory that this is just a "laundry problem" as my doc always said. While the projectile vomiting you describes sounds pretty dramatic, and would worry me too, I've always understood that unless you're seeing that all day, it's probably not serious reflux that needs treatment. I bet it's your OALD, and she'll grow out of it.

P.S. I think pooping once a day is normal and not a problem. She's almost two months old now, right? So yes, poop frequency goes down, that's normal.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

It does not sound like allergy to me yet. She is at the peak time for developing baby acne as well, so it might get worse.

Can you get her into the pedi for a weight check, or do you have a well visit coming up?

Even with one huge vomit a day she will gain.

When we were dealing with allergy and reflux with DS2 it was 10+ projectile pukes a day.

They are gross though!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks, ladies.! It IS very worrying to see so much come out of something so small. You have to wonder where it was being stored. She is gaining OK. She's been to the dr a lot in the past 2 weeks for an illness (which I failed to mention and is probably contributing to the vomiting) and appears to be gaining weight normally. She has another appt in a week so I'll know better then.

It is a major laundry problem because I have few things that fit me well right now and she just keeps vomiting on them!

Lisa, I didn't know that this was peak time for baby acne. Good to know. And I can't believe C was vomiting 10 times/day. That must have been hard to deal with. Not to mention the clean up factor.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    She is at the peak time for developing baby acne as well, so it might get worse.
    Joe had terrible baby acne around this time too. It's not the best for taking photos, but it's normal.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.