Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not understanding peoples problem with breastfeeding toddler

Default Re: Not understanding peoples problem with breastfeeding toddler

With everything that's been said. Don't let anyone's opinions keep you from doing what you know and feel is best for your baby.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

My sister in law weaned her daughter (who is 2 months younger then my son) at 7 months, and now every time I talk to her or my brother, they keep asking me - when are you going to wean? According to them, their pediatrician tells them that milk becomes bad for the baby after 6 months, contains no vitamins or anything, and it is just a bad habit at this time that doesn't do anything. I am exhausted of this. I sent them WHO recommendations, APA recommendations - nothing.
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Their pediatrician is an idiot.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Yeah think? I have no idea how is it even possible for a doctor in CA of all states to say something like that. Honestly, I think this is what SIL wants everyone to believe because she feels bad about not nursing longer, but I could be totally wrong...
    When I heard about this for the first time, I said - you gotta change the ped! Oh, no, she is a very good doctor...
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Yup I think we all end up dealing with ignorant people when we are breastfeeding a toddler. I am currently nervous about Easter dinner with my IL's. Most of the family will be shocked that I'm still BFIng, but I have no problem educating them on the benefits of bfing if they mention/ask about it. Even though I'm dreading they family's comments, I would never wean my LO just because they think it's gross. Because when it comes down to it, it's none of their business!
    Mom to T September 10 2009 - BF for 20 months

Due with baby #2 December 31st 2012!

Eventually they will stop asking. I think everyone just assumes I'm not nursing anymore - b/c DD is nearly 3 and I am pg. I think they saw my look of annoyance anytime I was asked about it. But I haven't been asked in a LONG time.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

15 months here and getting it from pediatrician, too. He said I needed to at least night wean and give cows milk "just in case". He said that a lot of moms have trouble with supply and NO WONDER since he gives horrible advice to night wean and supplement with a different kind of milk.

We just ignored him and our daughter is doing GREAT. Unfortunately I still have to deal with the occasional random new person who doesn't understand that I don't give a flying fart about their ridiculous misconception about extended breastfeeding being inappropriate or harmful. But after I give them the blanket World Health Organization recommendation and turn it back on them like they are the freak then they usually never mention it to me again.

In fact, now that I think of it, I haven't really allowed anyone to have a repeat conversation with me about it. I shut my pediatrician down and just said no, we aren't doing that and when he tried to "reason" with me via my husband I looked at my husband and said "am I missing something here, did you hear something different?"

Heaven help the next fool who tries to tell me what to do with my body and child.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovepickles View Post
    Heaven help the next fool who tries to tell me what to do with my body and child.
    AMEN!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

My dd is still nursing at 23 mths. I try not to tell anyone because I still hear it too. Do what is comfortable for you and don't feel pressured by others. It's your baby!

Come here for support too, BM is the BEST for baby!!
    Nursing my bug for almost 3 years YIKES!

Poor you! I can totally relate. My MIL kept calling me making suggestions on how to wean, other in-laws would make comments about how nursing a 2 year old is "Disgusting". Sigh... she has strong opinions on many of the attachment parenting methods I use, many until she sees a special on attachment parenting on TV, then changes her mind. It is so hard not to have your families support, but the best part about being your toddler's mom is that you get to make all the choices. And, I believe you are doing the right thing. Breast milk changes it's composition as your child ages, making it the perfect milk for your child at any age - ultimately the most complete and perfect food you can feed your baby. Cow's milk is made especially for baby cows (calves), isn't really designed for human consumption (although, i will admit that cow's milk makes some pretty darn good cheese)...

I became pregnant 8 weeks ago with my second child, and with no signs of weaning, my son weaned himself a few weeks ago. It was perfect, mutual and so much easier than I could have ever dreamed. There were hardly any tears, it was gradual enough to not make me engorged, and there was no emotional trauma. My DS was 22 months old.

You know what? I haven't told my MIL that I've weaned him... it's none of her darn business, having not been supportive of so many of my choices during this long 2 years of learning how to parent. And, I'm perfectly fine to let her worry about how I'm going to tandem nurse (which I think is a wonderful thing, and would have done had my DS not weaned)... sigh... life is so funny.

Hang on there! Do what's right for the both of you. When you nurse, if you're not feeling resentful, if it's a beautiful relationship that connects and bonds the two of you, don't stop. Why stop something that is so natural, wonderful and loving?