Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best Pump?

Default Best Pump?

I have a pump in style advanced from my first and I borrowed a freestyle with my second - trying to figure out what to use with the third. Any suggestions would be great. Is there anything better on the market?

Default Re: Best Pump?

I love my Avent hand pump and if you buy the electric version its convertable to manual!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Depends on how much pumping you need to do.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i love my hygeia enjoye double electric
    are you pumping full time, at work or just occassionally?
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

I will be returning to work around 3 months and I'll be pumping at work. Thinking ahead to my pumping strategy. I used the playtex dropins and pumped into those at work, but thinking of using the medela bottles this time around. It used to take 30 minutes evey night to pack her bottles for the next day and make sure everything was rotated. Anybody have any experience with the medela bottles?

i store milk in either the mothers milk or medela bottles, but she eats out of pur stainless steel bottles.
    you definitely need a good double electric pump for going back to work, lansinoh, avent, medela and hygeia all make good ones.
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

Is there something wrong with the original PISA that you used with your first? Those things are designed to last a while. I borrowed one from a friend that had to have been at least 6 years old and had gone through our friends' 5-6 other kids.

If the pump isn't working, and you are the original owner, try calling medela to trouble shoot. They are generally very helpful, and may even replace something that's broken.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

No nothing is wroing with it the last time I checked over a year ago.

I liked the size and convenience of the freestyle. Just wondering what other working moms are using out there to make this process as easy as possible.

I think, just from reading here on this forum and from what moms say on other forums that I might breeze through, most moms who pump at work are using PISAs. Some use Freestyles, just because of what you say, but the Freestyle costs so much more that most moms do without the portability factor just fine. I use a Freestyle when I'm traveling because it's very packable -- I don't have to carry two bags everywhere and can just fit the Freestyle in my diaper bag -- but my main pump is a Symphony.

Other moms are very happy with Ameda pumps, which are basically the same thing as Lansinoh pumps. I have a Lansinoh that I liked very much until I had to EP, then I found it just didn't have enough oomph (the Freestyle doesn't have enough either for me to EP with alone) and I couldn't get the right sized horns for FT pumping to prevent soreness. I liked that I could adjust speed and suction separately, which you can't do on the Medela pumps.

Then there are a couple other brands that moms are pretty happy with.

But if you have a pump, you could save yourself the money and just use it, unless that Freestyle is available.

Regarding longevity...I've heard it both ways. That they are designed to last, and that pumps wear out after hard use after about a year

I pump into a variety of bottles with the Medela pumps But the feeder teats my baby uses will leak unless I transfer the milk into these Gerber apple juice bottles. So I don't think the bottles need to be a factor in your choice. You can pump directly into the Medela bags if you buy the box of bags with the adapter in them. Don't know if you care about that. That, IMHO, saves time, but you can't do it if you might get kicked or have to bend over..the milk spills easily.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My personal experience with the Freestyle was that I don't get as much out of it, when compared with the PIS. I have heard others say the same; to be fair, however, some love it.

I do like it for portability, though, so while I had to by a new PISA (since I had to return the old one and the FS wasn't working for me ), I like having the FS for being on-the-go (outdoor concerts, travel without baby, etc).
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos