Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is sleeping through the night ok at 3 months?

Default Is sleeping through the night ok at 3 months?

It's me again! This time I have a question about sleeping through the night. My 11 week old son is now going 2 long 4-5 hour stretches at night between feedings. I have 2 questions about this. First, is it normal and/or safe for him to go that long between feedings at night? He's a slow gainer, so I definitely don't want him going that long if it's not healthy, but he also rarely sleeps during the day so I think he needs some solid sleep at night and would rather not wake him if it's ok.

My second question is about milk supply if I'm going that long between nursing. I feed him on demand throughout the day which is usually every 2-3 hours. However I only nurse from one side at a time due to his reflux, so at night each breast ends up going around 8 hours without being nursed with these long stretches now. I haven't noticed any supply problems yet, but would also like to prevent any from happening, so I'm not sure if it's ok to go that long? Thanks again for all your help, ladies!

Default Re: Is sleeping through the night ok at 3 months?

With most 3-month-olds my personal opinion would be yes, that is fine and take advantage of it while you can! But when you say slow gainer, do you mean the ped is concerned about his weight gain?

Also you may be coming up on a growth spurt which will change everything up again. Babies like to do that.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

My health nurse has told me to stop coming in to get my LO weighed as much. She will gain half a pound, lose a quarter, gain a quarter, lose half, gain three quarters, and just generally drive me insane. She started to sleep well at about 2 months when I stopped fighting myself and started to co-sleep. She has told me that the general goal is double birth weight at 6 months and triple at a year. Unless your LO is losing weight on a regular basis try not to worry about time between feedings. LOs are born with this magical ability to tell you when they are hungry and need food!!! lol
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Thanks for the reassurance, ladies! By "slow gainer" I mean he is just shy of gaining the 1 ounce per day average so many peds go by. At his 2 month appointment he had gone from 6lb15oz birth weight to 9lb13oz - so just less than 2lbs in 2 months (although technically a little more since he was down to 6lbs8oz at the hospital). The pediatrician doesn't seem too concerned about his weight since he is still consistantly gaining. I think I'm just more concerned since most of the statistics and averages I hear are for huge babies, probably mostly formula fed, so I get worried about my little guy. Which is why I was getting worried about his 2 4-5 hour stretches of sleep. I wasn't sure if that was too long for him to go, or too long for my milk supply. I guess I should worry a little less and just enjoy the extra sleep?

Exactly! Sometimes us moms need to be reminded that not everything has to be difficult! Your milk supply can change at different times of day, kinda like the tide. You'll find yourself fuller at certain times during the day when you normally nurse. I can't leave the house around 7pm without pads in my bra, because thats the time I usually nurse my LO to sleep.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!