Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby not gaining weight

Default Baby not gaining weight

Baby girl was born 3/2. 8 lb 11 oz at birth. 8 lb 4 oz at discharge. At two week check today she's only gained 4 oz. Still not back to birth weight. She's been eating pretty routinely. Every 2-3 hours for 20-40 minutes at a time. The last few days she's been hungry all the time. So I've been nursing her. Supply and demand right? But when I've been trying to pump the other side she's not nursing from I'm only getting about half an ounce. Not the 2-3 the dr said she should be getting. Theyre suggesting I start supplementing with formula but I'm a little reluctant to do so. What do I do? Chances I just can't produce enough to feed her exclusively or what? I'm not sure where to go from here.

Default Re: Baby not gaining weight

I disagree with your doctor that you should be getting 2 to 3 ounces out by pumping. First of all, what kind of pump were you using? Your baby removes milk more efficiently than any pump, even the best hospital grade pumps.

How many wet/dirty diapers is your baby having? To me it sounds like you're producing enough, given how you are nursing. Does she seem fussy after she eats?

Have you talked to a lactation consultant? And did you get a lot of IV fluids during the birth?

You're only 3 ounces shy of birth weight. That's not bad at all.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

What type of birth did you have? C-sections can make it take longer for milk to come in then you get to play catch up.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Vaginal delivery. Yes to the IV fluids.
    Using an Amed Purely Yours electric pump.
    Think we're having plenty of wet diapers. Not as many dirty ones but definitely a couple a day.
    She's fussy and wanting to eat lots the last few days which isn't "normal" for her. She's also been staying awake for longer periods of time than she has been too.
    Not sure who to conact as far as a LC. Only one I talked to was the one on the hospital.

You could check out the find a group, or find local support on this site or you could call the hospital and ask to be patch through to the LC. I'm sure she wont mind!
    The thing to remember about doctors is that most of them do not have the same understanding of breastfeeding that a LC (or even an experienced mom) will have. Especailly GPs or family doctors. They are expected to know everything about everything and can only do their best. So look for specailized help when it comes to important stuff!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Its' normal for them to start waking up. And it sounds like she was having a growth spurt.

Can you ask your pediatrician or OB for recommendations for a lactation consultant? I would do that before supplementing with formula.

Is that a handpump or a double electric pump?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months