Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pumping at work with oversupply

Default Re: Pumping at work with oversupply

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    No, she's not sleeping all night. If she's anything like Lilah, that won't happen for more than a year after I quit pumping.
    Let's just say this was a NON-ISSUE with Joe.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Oh, wow. What a GOOD idea! I could do that with my extra and get Logan to drink it!! My freezer is full, the milk donation thing fell through (long story) and I wish he would drink some...that kid has a constantly runny nose.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    That was pretty much my exact schedule. For like eight months of my life. Except I did 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
    Okay, so not to totally threadjack Tracie, but this really is okay? I have been pumping somewhere between 10-15 EXTRA ounces per day; it's not increasing every single day, but I have definitely noticed an upward trend since I started back to work 1.5 weeks ago.

I'm just so paranoid about my supply going down. She is only 11.5 weeks old. Do you guys think it would be okay to already cut down to two long sessions per day, or wait until she's a little older?

I usually pump until they are empty as well; takes about 15 min or so, and I usually get a second let-down, esp if I massage.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

How much is she eating when you're away from you jeno? I guess what I'm asking, is how much are you pumping total?

Are you in pain on the weekends? I'm home today and the baby has nursed three times or so and I'm hurting. I'm trying not to pump because I know it will just spiral out of control. It sounds weird, but I'm not kidding when I say I'm scared to pump until the milk stops coming out. I have no idea how much I would be going home with.

I figure if I pump twice (and Trixie's 10.5 weeks old, I think) and what I'm bringing home isn't enough for her as she (hopefully) increases her intake, I'll just add in some sessions. I certainly have some room with the 30 extra ounces I got this week if I need to use freezer stash.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How much is she eating when you're away from you jeno? I guess what I'm asking, is how much are you pumping total?
    I was pumping 16-20oz when I first went back; today I am on track for 24. I don't think I've pumped less than 20oz this week. It's ridiculous.

I started off sending five 3oz bottles, since she was still nursing every 1-2 hrs at home; after starting daycare, she quickly dropped down to three bottles for a 10hr separation. She's nursing every 2-3 now at home when I'm off, so it is the same equivalent number of "feedings" as she gets at daycare, maybe one more. I'm starting to send four bottles, and I'm probably going to start putting 4oz instead. So the short answer is 9-12oz per day.

Are you in pain on the weekends?
    Not really, but I work on Saturday mornings and am off Tuesday (and Sunday) all day; plus I've only had two "weekends" so far since starting back. If it makes any difference, I think my OALD has improved a lot; she doesn't choke or sputter anymore while eating, and I don't spray across the room anymore (just a few feet )

It sounds weird, but I'm not kidding when I say I'm scared to pump until the milk stops coming out. I have no idea how much I would be going home with.
    I'm afraid of the opposite, after dealing with green gassy poops for like the first 6 weeks of her life.

I figure if I pump twice (and Trixie's 10.5 weeks old, I think) and what I'm bringing home isn't enough for her as she (hopefully) increases her intake, I'll just add in some sessions. I certainly have some room with the 30 extra ounces I got this week if I need to use freezer stash.
    Okay, ours are about the same age. I'll try that next week and see how it goes. I'm hurting right now, and I already pumped at 8 and 12.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Wow! Yeah, I had the green gassy poops with Lilah, so I knew not to pump or feed on both sides with Trixie when she was small. But it's freaky when you pump for 5 minutes, there's 8 ounces in the bottles and there's still milk coming out!

I would totally knock it down to two if I were you. You certainly have room with your freezer stash, unless you've been giving all the extra to your older child.
    Tracie

Mommy to

jeno - how much did you end up pumping yesterday with the two times only? Did that back it down some?

Today is my first day of pumping only twice. I'm hoping I can make it through the day that way and that I don't end up engorged all weekend again!
    Tracie

Mommy to

I was SUPER engorged Monday morning; woke up at 4:30 with a completely soaked bed. Was able to make it until 8:30 (instead of 7:30) and the second at 12:30. I nursed her right when I got to daycare at 5:30. I got 17.5 oz total.

Today I had to send them to daycare (work stuff), pumped at 9:30 and 2:30; got 15oz total. I'm much less engorged today. She ate all four bottles for the first time, so I'm going to have to make sure I pump at least 14oz per day.

I think this is going to work. I can always add a third session if I have a low day or something. I'm glad you guys came up with it
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I think this is going to work. I can always add a third session if I have a low day or something. I'm glad you guys came up with it
    That's the thing. If you have oversupply in the beginning, you'll find you have no problem increasing your supply if you need to. Just pump a little longer for a few days. Or add a third session. It's one of the blessings of oversupply - what I call "responsive" supply. You tend to respond to stimulation - quickly.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    what I call "responsive" supply. You tend to respond to stimulation - quickly.
    That's really what it is. I'm engorged again today, b/c she's hit a little growth spurt and has been nursing more at night (~2-3 extra sessions in 24 hrs), but it only took a day to make me engorged again.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos