Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pumping at work with oversupply

Default Re: Pumping at work with oversupply

I think that's right on target joes.mom. I feel like if I needed to, I could get however much milk I wanted. I only pumped twice yesterday and pumped until I thought everything was really empty, and brought home about 12 ounces. Trixie ate about 5, so when she does start eating more (soon, I hope!), I can add that third session or pump longer. I didn't try for a second let down in the morning.

The funny thing yesterday was that I got agitated and anxious in the morning between the first time I pumped and the second time. I felt two letdowns before 1 pm and I got more and more anxious until I pumped. It was weird. I hope it doesn't happen today. And then I was pretty engorged when I got home and overnight as well, but baby is reverse cycling a bit so this morning all is well.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

How did the rest of the week go, Tracie?

Part of my problem is that I have GOT to make myself wait for that first pumping session. I'm usually so engorged on the non-eaten side when I get to work that I pump as soon as I get there. Now (it's my day off) she's taking her first morning nap, and leftie is DYING to be drained, since she's just eaten the once this morning. I must persevere though!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I don't know. I'm going to give it another week and see how it goes. I only took 12 to 14 ounces a day home last week, pumping twice a day so that was great. I was pretty engorged when I got home, but that worked out ok.

The issue is that I am spending Friday through Sunday afternoon engorged. Then it evens out and so Sunday afternoon and Monday are ok.

The baby does not empty either side when she nurses, ever. So I'm wondering if that's why when I pump until empty twice in a day I'm causing myself problems?

Is she eating everything you're pumping now? Trixie actually ate 12 ounces one day last week, I was really happy about that. She seems to eat around 8 or 9 in general, which I'm also ok with.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Yeah - not pumping on your day off is hard when you know you'll feel better if you just do it. But then it will snowball.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I'm netting 4 extra ounces per day, on average. It could be more, but I've started putting 4oz in her bottles instead of 3 since she takes it so well and I have it available. Better than the 9-12 I was getting before.

Re: your weekend engorgement, what time(s) are you pumping at work right now? I wonder if you pushed them ahead some, if that would make it better. I did fine on Sunday, b/c Saturday morning at work I didn't pump until 9 or so. But yesterday we managed (miraculously) to get out of the house early, so I was at work at like 7:35 and went ahead and pumped then and again at 12:15ish. Today, super engorged.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I'm pumping at 8:00ish and 1:00ish. I could push it to 9 some days and then 2, but I have to wait until I'm not sharing the pump. The other gal pumps at 10 and 2.

I just went up to 4 ounce bottles today too, I think. It wasn't thawed all the way, but I left 12 ounces and M told me she was going to do 4 ounces now.

If this doesn't work out, then next week I'll try pushing it later. And then if that doesn't work, I'm going to pump one side at 8:00, the other side at 11:30, first side at 3:00 and then nurse on the second side at 6:00 when I get home. That will be more like what we actually do.

Are you block feeding? Or just one side per nursing on the days you're with her? If I switch to one side per nursing instead of block feeding, maybe that would help even it out too...
    Tracie

Mommy to

It's not any particular length of time, I just feed one side each time. She eats every 2-3 hours during the day now. More like every 2 hours when it's just the two of us.

Is there just the one pump at work, or is the other girl not open to sharing the room with you? At one of the hospitals where I work, there are always two or three in the lactation room.

*by sharing the pump, I assumed that you meant a single hospital-grade pump
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

It is a hospital grade pump (Medela Lactina) provided by my employer. We have been trading it back and forth between our offices until the next one becomes available for her to keep in her office.

The problem is that she was sick last week and I saw her wipe her fever blisters and then touch the pump. So now I'm cleaning the outside of it off every time she brings it to me before I use it. We had told the pump lady at work that we could just share, but I emailed her last week and asked her to get the other girl her own as soon as possible... should be another week or so.
    Tracie

Mommy to