Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pumping at work with oversupply

Default Re: Pumping at work with oversupply

Yeah, maybe spread the pumpings out a little bit? That said, 16 oz doesn't seem TOO extreme for me. I usually aimed to pump between 12 and 15 oz (for my 9 hour work day). So I wouldn't back off too much, or you risk getting behind when she goes through her 3 month growth spurt, right? Use your judgment, mama. If the amount is going up every day, then that's not good. Just stop pumping when you hit that 12 oz mark.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Then the stupid thing I worry about is that I'm only pumping out foremilk, you know.

I know 16 ounces isn't extreme. But I'm stopping before the milk stops coming out.

Right now I'm getting between 7 and 8 ounces at 8:00ish, 4 to 6 at 11:30ish and 4 to 6 at 3:30ish.

Maybe next week I'll see how just pumping at 10 and 3 goes.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I think if you pump less frequently, but really empty the breast, you're less likely to have the foremilk problems. What about a good long pumping at 8 a.m. then wait until early afternoon for a second pumping, and that's it for the day? But both times you really empty the breasts out.

I think I pumped three times a day for like, two days, before I realized that wasn't going to be necessary for me. Because Joe never ate on both sides at a feeding. So pumping both sides every four hours was the equivalent of nursing him on one side every two hours, for me.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

That's a good idea... and would be easier to fit in. Something like 8 am and 1 pm, and then nursing at 6 pm. I'll try that next Tuesday and see how it goes.

Thanks.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    That's a good idea... and would be easier to fit in. Something like 8 am and 1 pm, and then nursing at 6 pm. I'll try that next Tuesday and see how it goes.

Thanks.
    That was pretty much my exact schedule. For like eight months of my life. Except I did 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.

ETA: But also, I know a lot of women do short pumping sessions. For me to completely empty both breasts, including a second letdown, always took more than 20 minutes. So they were two longish breaks.

You can call me JoMo!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Lilah wouldn't drink more than half the milk I was pumping. There was a lady with a baby with a cleft palate in town that couldn't pump very much milk. Every time I got to about 100 ounces, I would call her and she would take most of it. I'm hoping that Trixie will drink the milk. I was planning on giving whatever Trixie doesn't drink to Lilah, but Lilah has started noticing the taste in her "Lilah milk" and complains that she doesn't want any "mommy milk." This from a girl that couldn't get enough of the boob for the first two years of her life.
    Lance wasn't crazy about the taste, but I had so much extra and I was getting worried about his weight gain since he hadn't gained anything in almost a year so we started putting chocolate in it to make it palatable for him
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I'm doing the same thing Beth. If I don't have engorgement problems, I'm considering just pumping an extra 6 or 8 ounces a day on the days I work and giving her hot chocolate with it in the morning. I can hide about one ounce in 4 total ounces of milk, but if I try to do half my milk and half cow's milk, she can tell.

My babysitter is putting anything left from a bottle into Lilah's milk at the next meal.

So far the baby ate the most ever yesterday - 7 ounces. I'm actually comfortable with that amount, but hope that she'll get up to 10 or 12 since she's there for 11 hours.
    Tracie

Mommy to

is she sleeping alnight for you?
    Maybe when that starts to happen you'll have to re-look how often your pumping when your appart.

No, she's not sleeping all night. If she's anything like Lilah, that won't happen for more than a year after I quit pumping.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    Lance wasn't crazy about the taste, but I had so much extra and I was getting worried about his weight gain since he hadn't gained anything in almost a year so we started putting chocolate in it to make it palatable for him
    Oh, wow. What a GOOD idea! I could do that with my extra and get Logan to drink it!! My freezer is full, the milk donation thing fell through (long story) and I wish he would drink some...that kid has a constantly runny nose.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!