Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reflul or just forceful letdown or both?

Default Reflul or just forceful letdown or both?

LLLadies. Ever since my milk came in Lola has been having some struggles while nursing. I can't tell if she's just trying to keep up with a forceful letdown or if she's got reflux. Silas almost never spit up so I'm not used to that. She throws up once maybe twice a day and last night it came out of her nose. She makes these thin gasping noises when she nurses and if I don't pull her off right away she will end up choking, coughing, gasping for air etc. She burps like a trucker at least 3 or 4 times every time she nurses. Her swallow is very loud and I can HEAR the milk traveling to her belly. I really can't figure out if she's just working hard to keep up (I had OALD with Silas and the way she baracuda sucks I wouldn't be surprised if she nurses me into OS again seriously) or if it's something more like reflux. Also she has hiccups all the time. It sounds awful and freaks my freak sometimes but at the same time she's not crabby or crying at the breast or seeming uncomfortable or in pain. She eagerly and readily nurses every time but then every time she also has these struggles. A random thought that came into my head was that maybe she is trying to mouth breath while nursing because that's kind of what it SOUNDS like if you close your eyes and just listen.

I was thinking of taking a video today of her nursing to show what I'm talking about. If I know you well enough to see my boobs () and you think watching it could help me figure this out I totally will. Let me know.

We have her first check up on thursday so I want to go in prepared to discuss it but at the same time I trust BTDT mamas to give better advice than the pedi most of the time YKWIM

Any mamas out there have/had newbies with reflux that could shed some light on these symptoms?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Default Re: Reflul or just forceful letdown or both?

Do you have a webcam installed at my house? Cause you just described my daughter.

She does the same things - squirms at the breast, grunts, hiccups, makes that gasping sound (really freaks my mom out), has to pull off sometimes to catch her breath. I think it's a bit of both reflux and oald - I know I have oald, b/c I've seen it. I could hit a target at 20 paces with lefty sometimes. But she has gotten fussier with feedings, esp at evening time, so I think it's part reflux too. Pedi said I could give her 1/4 tsp of mylanta before feeds to see if it helps, but honestly I haven't. She doesn't always do it, and I don't feel like medicating her if I don't have to.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I think it's possible that you have OS again... but since Lola is not even a week old yet, I would be more inclined to think that your supply is still just in that "unregulated/overdrive" mode, where you are still making way more milk than baby needs, kwim. To me, if she's only puking once or twice a day, that sounds like normal newborn behavior to me? I think if it were me... I would probably try stimulating a letdown prior to letting her nurse... and catch your initial letdown in a towel or something... and then latch her on after the huge flood of milk has slowed down, and then see how she does. And I also think it's a little early to be considering reflux meds... does she seem happy when she's not nursing?

ETA: I also wanted to say... try to remember that Lola is still just learning how to nurse... learning how to master the "suck/swallow/breathe" pattern, and I think sometimes they swallow a lot of air in the beginning while they are trying to master it. That's great that she's burping though! That way the air in her belly won't make her tummy hurt.
    Last edited by @llli*buff24; March 15th, 2011 at 09:34 AM.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

My guess is OALD. Sounds a lot like Jackson in the beginning except he spit up tons more. If you start seeing her arch her back or writhe in pain , waking up crying in pain or never wanting to lie on her back, then I would start thinking reflux.

Sorry Colleen. Good thing you had her right after a huge boom of LLL babies since a lot of us have BTDT recently!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post
    My guess is OALD. Sounds a lot like Jackson in the beginning except he spit up tons more. If you start seeing her arch her back or writhe in pain , waking up crying in pain or never wanting to lie on her back, then I would start thinking reflux.

Sorry Colleen. Good thing you had her right after a huge boom of LLL babies since a lot of us have BTDT recently!
    I know right?

Ok cool Thanks mamas I have no idea what reflux looks like and Silas was so different in handling the OALD. Plus I forgot to mention that I'm not spraying this time that I can tell (or at least not yet) which made me think OALD might not be it ykwim? Anyway, glad to know it's not freaking anyone else out but me That's why we come here right? To get the more rational opinions.

Jeno good luck to you too mama!

Buff she is perfectly content and happy when not nursing. And actually all this struggling doesn't upset her either. She doesn't get upset about it. And I'm with you on not medicating right away this early. She does spit up alot. But the barfing is usually just once or twice a day.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I also want to say that reflux, IF that's what it is, is really only a laundry issue, so long as it is not interfering in her growth or comfort.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

yeah shes so young yet!

I guess the reason I get so flipped about it is that the way it sounds it scares me that she will aspirate (sp?).
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I had to hold sarah up right she was so tiny or she would start that choking and gasping she couldn't nurse laying down till she was like a month old.
    hard to get sleep that way. You guys will work it out
    sometimes just tweaking how you hold them helps, get baby more upright so the milk isn't spraying down their throat at letdown.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    I had to hold sarah up right she was so tiny or she would start that choking and gasping she couldn't nurse laying down till she was like a month old.
    hard to get sleep that way. You guys will work it out
    sometimes just tweaking how you hold them helps, get baby more upright so the milk isn't spraying down their throat at letdown.
    We have been working with just about every position in the book.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together