Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help!!!

Default Please Help!!!

Well i got a call yesturday from a temp agency i am working with to show up for a job today. i decided when i got a job i would try to wean now 5 and half month old DS into formula. figured i would have more time... anyway so i tried to start as soon as i heard the news. i never had a problem with giving him bottles of ebm and hes had formula a few times but yesturday he completely refused the formula in the bottle for about 4 hours than he drank 2oz then he completely refused it again for another 4/5 hours, even tried mixing it with the little bit of breastmilk i was able to pump, until i gave in and gave him breast milk from the tap. then soon after he puked up everywhere, overeating?
    well today i started my job and my dad was watching him. first my dad tryed formula and he wouldn't eat it then he gave him some thawed ebm and he still refused to eat. during the coarse of the day he had about a 1/4th of a jar of baby food. however it wasn't until 8 hours later my dad said he ate 3oz of ebm. and didn't eat again until 3 hours later when i showed up to bf to him. so in about 10hr period he only had alittle baby food and 3oz of breastmilk today, help!!! my dad seems to think this is alright and he would eat if he was hungry but my baby is a piglet that eats about everyhour (he snacks) and i just know 3oz in 10hrs is not right. what can i do?
    also i'm not really able to pump at work so continueing breastfeeding them is not really an option. unless theres a way to breastfeed and not have to pump for a 10 hours period? any which way, how do i work this out at work so my boobs engorged and arent hurting constantly?

Default Re: Please Help!!!

You CAN feed formula (or give solids/ebm) while you're at work, and breastfeed at home. It's called combination feeding. You can read more at this link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html

As for what to do about the engorgement, you might try hand expressing or manual pumping just enough for comfort. Your milk production levels will down regulate to make going hours at a time without nursing/pumping comfortable.

As for your baby's intake, you may find that he eats less while you're away and nurses more when you're home. It's called reverse cycling, and it's totally normal. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

i really like the combination idea. just a few questions
    today i got home and i swear i grew 2 cup sizes and they were like rocks, i pumped off 10oz plus let DS nurse, and i probably still coulda got more out. to try teach my body not to produce while i'm at work should i not be trying to pump them so much when i get home, 3-4oz is a normal pumping session for me. also wouldn't it be best to not breastfeed during the weekend during the hours i normally wouldn't be there so again to teach my body when and not when to produce milk? should i try to get them as empty as possible before work?

Hi Zoey,

It shouldn't affect your daytime milk supply if you pump until your breasts are empty after work. Your body will adjust to the new schedule over time. It is also quite common for partial breastfeeding moms to nurse their babies all night and all weekend long. In fact, many mamas find that their babies change their schedules, too, eating very little during the day, and feasting at the breast all night and all weekend long. Again, your body will adjust. It's all about what works best for you and your baby.

One last thought for you. We have a mama in our local group who was in an impossible pumping environment at work (specifically, the nastiest factory in town with very short breaks and no place to pump). She was able to successfully pump for several months using a wearable pump that goes in your bra and collects milk in bags under your shirt. Just something to consider...

Tiana