You're right about the rice cereal, there's not a lot of nutrition to it. If he meets the above criteria (which generally happens around 6 months) you could probably start doing baby led solids if you wanted to. I've been meaning to email you
Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
* Baby can sit up well without support.
* Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
* Baby is ready and willing to chew.
* Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
* Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.