Is my baby actually getting anything
My newborn is 11 days old and has lost 11oz in weight. She did a poop yesturday after 6 days but it was dark brownish in colour. She seems to want to feed constantly in the morning then have a few hours sleep at about 10 am. Feed for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours at lunch time then nap for another few hours until 3 pm, then feed for another 1- 1 1/2 hours then sleep. At about 7pm she will feed for an hour or so then be restless feeding on and off until midnight. She briefly has a few minutes where she looks around the room then she is unsettled. Nobody else can pick her up as she just roots for boob and cries. What I doing wrong?
Re: Is my baby actually getting anything
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!
In your shoes, I would want to immediately do the following:
1. Keep an extremely careful record of wets and poops. If you have trouble counting tiny newborn pees in a super-absorbent disposable diaper, tuck a few squares of tissue paper in front of your baby's genital area. When she pees, the paper will be visibly wet.
2. See the pediatrician. A newborn who isn't pooping and who has lost a significant amount of weight is an issue to talk to your doc about.
3. See the lactation consultant, preferably one who is an IBCLC. She may be able to spot an issue- a poor latch, a tongue-tie, a weak suck, etc. When you have an issue with a newborn, there's no substitute for hands-on help!
Can you tell us more about nursing? Specifically:
- How does it feel? Are you in pain when the baby nurses, or after she nurses?
- After baby unlatches, what shape are your nipples? Symmetrical, like pencil erasers, or asymmetrical/creased/wedged, like new lipsticks?
- Does baby fall asleep rapidly at the breast?
- Is baby jaundiced at all?