Today, 07:29 AM
That sounds like colic to me. Colic follows the "rule of three"- unexplained crying for 3 or more hours a day, 3 or more days a week, for 3 or more weeks at a time, in a baby who is otherwise well-fed and healthy. Bonus points if the behavior is predictable, occurring around the same time every day, and if it starts or markedly intensifies around 3 weeks of age.
Both of my kids were colicky evening screamers. Here's what helped:
- Remember that this will not last forever!!!
- Nurse. Nurse nurse nurse and nurse some more. You can't scream if there's a breast in your mouth.
- Calm house. Turn the lights, TV, and stereo down or off when evening rolls around.
- White noise. Radio static, heartbeat sounds, water running in a tub, sound of wheels on pavement, etc.
- Motion. Put baby in a swing, swing, stroller, or carseat and go. Or rock, bounce, sway, etc.
- Skin-to skin contact- cuddle baby close to bare chest.
- Warm water- give baby in a warm, soap-free bath in the sink.